The Sunday Supper tastemakers are celebrating two of their favorite things today: Potatoes and appetizers. We’ve partnered with the Idaho Potato Commission to develop 20 delicious recipes to start the party. Still, we couldn’t help thinking of other ways to serve potatoes.
A baked potato for dinner? Sure thing. It can easily become a complete meal with the addition of a protein and vegetables. How about a baked potato party? A range of toppings brings versatility to the amiable potato, which gets along with many flavors.
Make sure that your potatoes are well-cooked and the flesh inside is fluffy. An undercooked potato won’t pick up the flavors of the toppings as well. The hotter the potato, the better the cheese will melt too. Gooey is good.
Here are 10 baked potato toppings ideas.
- The Greek Way. Mix sour cream with feta cheese, plus fresh oregano leaves and spoon into baked potato. Top with chopped kalamata olives.
- Mac Daddy. Stuff your spud with mac and cheese and top with sliced scallions.
- Southern Spin. Barbecued pulled pork with sauce and lightly-dressed cole slaw on the top.
- Earthy Nosh. Sauté sliced mushrooms and diced shallots in olive oil for about 5 minutes. Deglaze pan with stock and add fresh thyme leaves. Spoon into baked potatoes and top with toasted chopped pecans.
- West Coast. Start with a little Ranch dressing drizzled into the potato then add grated pepper Jack cheese, sliced avocado and bacon crumbles.
- East Coast. Mix 2 parts cream cheese to 1 part plain Greek yogurt. Load into baked potato and top with smoked salmon slices, capers and a squeeze of fresh lemon.
- Simply Devine. Stuff the tater with whipped ricotta cheese and ample salt and pepper. Top with halved grape tomatoes that have been sautéed in olive oil until slightly soft. Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves.
- Hail Caesar. Fluff the cooked flesh of the potato and then drizzle with Caesar salad dressing. Stuff with Caesar salad (make sure Romaine is in bite-size pieces) and top with crunchy croutons.
- Pizza Spud. Drizzle baked potato innards with warmed pizza sauce, top with lots of shredded mozzarella, then pepperoni slices and black olives. Pop under the broiler for a few minutes until cheese is bubbly.
- For the Birds. Sauté cured, sliced chorizo to release some of its oil, then add diced red pepper. Cook until pepper is slightly soft. Add shredded breast meet from a rotisserie chicken to head through. Sprinkle shredded Parmesan on hot, split potato. Stuff in meat mixture and top with sour cream and pickled jalapenos.
The Sunday Supper tastemakers have had a spud-tastic time this week cooking with Idaho® potatoes. Idaho is the nation’s No. 1 producer of potatoes so the farmers (and consumers) they know potatoes. After a week of working with Idaho® potatoes, we do too.
Find even more inspiration on this Potato Pinterest board.
Join us for tonight’s 7 p.m. ET Twitter chat when we talk about our favorites ways to cook with potatoes and share recipes for potato appetizers. Here are this week’s recipes:
- 10 Potato Toppings by Sunday Supper Movement
- Baby Duchess Potato Bites by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Bacon and Blue Cheese Stuffed Potatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Potato Skins by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheesy Bacon Potato Patties with Avocado Cream by I’m Not the Nanny
- Cheesy Taco Potato Bites by Flavor Mosaic
- Fully Loaded Baked Potato Skins by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Honey Sriracha Fries with Crème Fraiche by Whole Food | Real Families
- Indian Spiced Potato Pastry Shells by Soni’s Food
- Loaded Baked Potato Stuffed Mushrooms by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Loaded Baked Potato Dip by Life Tastes Good
- Mini Potato Crab Cakes by Magnolia Days
- Potato and Chorizo Bites by Family Foodie
- Purple Potato Puffs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Smoky Paprika Potato Kebabs with Bacon and Blue Cheese Dip by Food Done Light
- Smoky Potato Pie Cups by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spanish Potato Skewers with Paprika Dipping Sauce by Rhubarb and Honey
- Spiralized Shoestring Garlic Truffle Fries with Aioli by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Two-Bite Potato Salad Cups by Shockingly Delicious
- Waffled Twice Baked Potato Pancake Bites by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Window Pane Potato Chips by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by the Idaho Potato Commission in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are those of the individual bloggers.