What’s a picnic without deviled eggs? The better question is what kind of deviled eggs will you make for your picnic? There are so many ways to dress up this classic finger-food beyond mayo and chopped celery. Remember, deviled eggs are better if they are chilled at least an hour before serving. That allows the flavors to blend together.
This week, Sunday Supper partnered with Gallo Family Vineyards to pair the best varietals with an innovative picnic menu that includes recipes for BLT Panzanella Salad, Cold Chinese Peanut Noodles and Lemon Chicken Penne Salad.
10 Deviled Egg Variations
1. Guacamole. Mix yolks with prepared smooth guacamole, finely diced scallions and lime juice, all to taste. Season with salt.
2. Curried. Mix six egg yolks with 3 tablespoons plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon chutney and ½ teaspoon curry.
3. Muffaletta. Inspired by the famous meat-and-olive sandwich of New Orleans. Chop olive salad finely and mix with egg yolks, along with a small amount of mayonnaise. Garnish with tiny cubes of hard salami.
4. Buffalo. Mix yolks with mayonnaise, blue cheese, finely chopped celery and wing sauce.
5. Greek. Plain Greek yogurt substitutes for mayo and mixed with yolks, feta cheese crumbles, a few shakes of dried oregano and chopped kalamata olives.
6. Shrimp and Dill. Chop cold, cooked salad shrimp (save some for garnish) and mix with mayo, chopped fresh dill and lemon juice. Garnish each deviled egg with one wee shrimp. Maybe two.
7. Bacon-Horseradish. Mix yolks with mayo, sour cream and horseradish to taste. Stir in finely diced scallions. Garnish with crispy, crumbled bacon. (If you add the bacon to stuffing mix, it will get soggy.)
8. Pimento-Cheese. Smash yolks with diced, drained pimentos and add mayonnaise. Stir in shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese and finely diced white onion.
9. Pesto. Add a little basil pesto to the mayonnaise and yolks then stuff the eggs. Garnish with shredded basil.
10. Chipotle-BBQ. Yolks are mixed with mayonnaise, BBQ sauce and chipotle Tabasco, to taste. Garnish with crushed corn chips.
Join us on Twitter at 7 p.m. ET tonight for our picnic celebration. There will be plenty of tips along with lively conversation. If you haven’t planned a picnic, you’ll want to once you check out this week’s amazing recipes:
- 10 Deviled Egg Variations by Sunday Supper Movement
- Thai Spiced Chicken Meatballs with Peanut Sauce by Soni’s Food
Picnic Main Dishes:
- Baked or Grilled Tandoori Chicken Legs by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- BBQ Pulled Pork Picnic Sandwiches by Family Foodie
- Creamy Pesto Chicken Sandwiches by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- French Ham and Butter Sandwich (Jambon Buerre) by Shockingly Delicious
- Grilled Honey Chicken Kabobs by Life Tastes Good
- Italian Hoagie Style Pressed Picnic Sandwiches by Feed Me, Seymour
- Kimbap (Korean ‘Sushi’) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Picnic Sandwich Torte by Palatable Pastime
Picnic Salads and Sides:
- BLT Panzanella Salad by Casa de Crews
- Cold Chinese Peanut Noodles by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Lemon Chicken Penne Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Mason Jar Salmon Nicoise Salad by Simply Healthy Family
Picnic Sweets and Desserts:
- Banana Pudding Cups by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Blueberry Crumb Bars by Alida’s Kitchen
- Blueberry Peach Snack Cake by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Key Lime Cheesecake Crumb Bars by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Lemon Meringue Pie in a Jar by Desserts Required
- Simple Strawberry Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Southern Fried Apricot Hand Pies by Magnolia Days
Read more about eating and drinking in the great outdoors on Gallo Family Vineyards’ blog.
More on Gallo Family Vineyards: Follow them on social media to keep up with the latest on their happenings and wines. Quick links to GFV’s profiles: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. The Gallo Family Vineyards website has lots of information on their wines plus wine & food pairings and a handy store locator.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the authors, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards