It’s that time of year again! The most wonderful time of the year for those of us who love to cook and bake. Food traditions are plentiful and it’s not always about the main course! We’re talking side dishes this week as Sunday Supper Tastemakers share their Best Holiday Side Dishes.
I host Thanksgiving dinner each year. I have to confess, I do not make the turkey. My mom has that honor. But, what I do make is all the wonderful holiday side dishes! We love our side dishes! My kids all have their favorites and it wouldn’t be a proper holiday if I didn’t make each and every one of them every year. You’ll always find a serving dish full of Country Style Green Beans and Honey Dijon Roasted Carrots on my holiday table.
Most people are familiar with traditional American Thanksgiving side dishes like green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and, of course, gravy. But, do you serve any side dishes that are tradition in other parts of the world for the holidays?
Holiday Side Dishes From Around The World
- Latkes are a traditional Israeli dish often served for Hanukkah. These crispy potato pancakes are always a big crowd pleaser.
- Mince Pies are a must around the holidays in England. Flakey pastries are filled with minced meat, dried fruit, and spices.
- Kutya is a sweet grain pudding that can be found in the Ukraine, Russia, and some parts of Poland this time of year. This is often the first course of the 12-course Christmas meal known as Svyata Vecherya.
- Bahn Chung is a traditional Vietnamese rice cake. Often served for New Years, there are many different types but the most traditional contains glutinous rice, mung beans, and pork.
Join #SundaySupper on Twitter Sunday 7pm ET for our fun chat. This week we’ll be talking about our best holiday side dishes! Until then, take a peek at what everyone is bringing to the virtual table below
Best Holiday Side Dishes:
Fruity Side Dishes
- Cranberry Apple Relish by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Cranberry Fluff Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Easy Cheesy Pineapple Bake by This is How I Cook
- Pecan Cranberry Jello Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Apples by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Other Side Dishes
- Chestnut Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Easy Mushroom Rice Pilaf by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- One Pot Macaroni and Cheese by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Potato Dinner Rolls by The Redhead Baker
- Sausage, Apple, and Cranberry Stuffing by Life Tastes Good
Potato Side Dishes
- Gingered Sweet Potatoes by Simple and Savory
- Marmalade Glazed Sweet Potatoes by Sunday Supper Movement
- Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes by Cookin’ Mimi
- Sour Cream and Onion Smashed Red Potatoes by Food Done Light
- Southern Praline Sweet Potato Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Southwestern Potato Bake by The Freshman Cook
- Stacked Sweet Potatoes by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sweet Potatoes with Cumin Sage Butter by Cooking Chat
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
Vegetable Side Dishes
- Acorn Squash and Brussel Sprout Side Dish by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bacon Balsamic-Roasted Brussels Sprouts by The Crumby Cupcake
- Braised Red Cabbage by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese Bake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Candied Acorn Squash by Cricket’s Confections
- Cheesy Jalapeño Corn Casserole by Food Lust People Love
- German Green Bean Salad (Bohnensalat) by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade Green Bean Casserole by Family Around The Table
- Loaded Mashed Cauliflower Casserole by My Life Cookbook
- Miso Glazed Corn by NinjaBaker.com
- Pan Roasted Carrots with Apple Molasses by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pine Nuts and Cranberries by The Chef Next Door
- Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Walnut Pesto by The Hungry Goddess
- Roasted Onions with Parsley Pesto by Monica’s Table
- Roasted Parsnips with Balsamic Vinegar and Rosemary by Wholistic Woman
- Roasted Pumpkin with Rosemary and Thyme by Feeding Big
- Spicy Balsamic Roasted Vegetables by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Corn Pudding by Brunch-n-Bites
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.