Entertaining expert Krayl Funch of the lifestyle blog An Appealing Plan shares her tips and suggestions for an easy summer picnic, complete with menu and decor ideas. Her delicious blueberry chicken salad is also perfect for a quick #WeekdaySupper! While the weather’s still nice, enjoy it as a picnic at the beach or even in your own backyard.
I love any reason to pack up a picnic basket, throw a few blankets in the car and head outdoors for lunch under a beautiful blue sky. Come to think of it, why wait for a reason to pack a picnic? Isn’t a gorgeous day more than enough reason for a picnic with Blueberry Chicken Salad and a few friends and family?
On the Summer Picnic Menu
- Blueberry Chicken Salad
- Kettle Cooked Potato Chips
- Fruit Skewers + Watermelon Slices
- Spiked Agua Fresca Watermelon Cocktail
Summer is my favorite season of them all! Not simply because my birthday happens to fall in August. Well, that may have something to do with it, but mostly it’s because of all the wonderful opportunities to spend time outdoors enjoying good meals with friends. BBQs are a summer tradition and most likely the leading social activity during the warm weather, but let’s not forget about a summer classic – the beach picnic.
Always a fan of the perfect place setting, I can’t tell you how happy I am with the variety of stylish and eco-friendly flatware and dinnerware that is available to us these days! For each guest attending your picnic tuck a fork, knife and spoon into a rattan napkin ring with a white cotton napkin. Then put all the place settings into a galvanized bucket – it will keep them all in place and looks great on your picnic blanket. For your plates, I recommend melamine dinnerware. It comes in such fabulous colors and patterns, is light for carrying and can be placed in the dishwasher at home for quick clean up!
You won’t need to add too much decor – let the sun, surf and sand be the star – however, a few nautically inspired paper straws and signs are inexpensive, fun and make for great selfies! Place them all in another galvanized bucket for easy carrying.
When the weather is warm people tend to eat less. Rather than having whole sandwiches, cut larger croissants in half, wrap them in parchment paper and let guests choose whether to eat one or two halves. In the same basket as your sandwiches, offer kettle-cooked style potato chips – they hold up to heat and humidity better than other chips.
Bite-sized fruit on wooden skewers and sliced watermelon celebrate the flavors of the season, appeal to guests of all ages and add a pop of color to your beach picnic spread.
Don’t forget to grab a few colorful blankets from the closet for guests to sit on, and you are ready to go!
- 4 cups rough cut, or hand torn, roasted chicken breast pieces
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup chopped celery, thin rib cut
- 1 green onion, green and white chopped
- 1½ cup blueberries
- salt and pepper to taste
- red onion, thin sliced, optional
- 6 medium croissants
- In a medium bowl combine roasted chicken breast, mayonnaise, celery, salt and pepper.
- If time permits, cover and place in refrigerator over night to allow flavors to combine.
- Add green onion and blueberries to chicken mixture and stir gently to combine without breaking the blueberries.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice croissants horizontally.
- Place approximately 1 cup of chicken salad on the bottoms, top with red onion slices and replace top
- Cut each sandwich into halves.
- Wrap sandwich halves in parchment paper with cut side facing up. Keep chilled until ready to serve.
Looking for more ideas and tips for your next picnic? See my Beach Party Must Haves or visit my Summer Entertaining Pinterest Board.
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s super easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for recipes on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
Pin Blueberry Chicken Salad!