Spicy Chicken Burgers are quick to make, which is good. Because your family will rave about the delicious Tex-Mex flavors and beg you to make them again and again. This recipe was first published in full on the blog Life Tastes Good. We are pleased to share it with you here for Weekday Supper.
Spicy Chicken Burgers taste like tacos in burger form. Jalapeños, pepper Jack cheese, avocados and salsa make this simple dinner a little spicy and whole lot delicious. This is a flavorful alternative to beef burgers. While the instructions here tell you how to cook the patties in a stovetop skillet, these burgers are also fantastic cooked on an outdoor grill.
Low carb diet?
If you are avoiding carbs, serve your spicy chicken burgers with a side salad instead of the buns and use almond flour, as suggested, instead of the breadcrumbs. Either way, totally delicious!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- ½ cup almond flour (for low carb) or breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices pepper Jack cheese
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- Chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Combine 1 pound ground chicken, ¼ cup diced onion, 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic, 1 tablespoon taco seasoning, 1 diced jalapeno, ½ cup almond flour or breadcrumbs (use almond flour for a low carb alternative), 1 egg, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Mix this up really well. I use gloves and get in there with my hands to mix it up. The mixture will be very sticky.
- To form the patties I recommend using gloves. If you don't have gloves wet your hands first for better results. Form the mixture into 4 patties.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over mid-high heat. You can use a stainless steel skillet as long as it is oven safe. Spray with olive oil cooking spray. I use the Misto Olive Oil Sprayer.
- Add the burgers to the skillet and sear them for 4-5 minutes. They will develop a nice crust on the outside, but don't let them burn!
- Flip the burgers and sear the other side for an additional 4-5 minutes until cooked through.
- When cooked through the juices will run clear with no pink in the middle. The internal temp should be 160°F when checked with an instant read thermometer.
- Top each burger with a slice of pepperjack cheese and place the skillet under the broiler until the cheese melts.
- To assemble, top each bun with a burger patty.
- Add sliced avocados, salsa, and chopped cilantro. If you don't like cilantro you can use parsley.
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.