A perfect pasta salad with a bit of a fancier side – all the frills of Chicken Cordon Bleu, but perfect to bring to any picnic, party, BBQ or even a Weekday Supper! This lovely salad was original published on The Crumby Cupcake as part of a Sunday Supper event. We are pleased to share it here for Weekday Supper.
I managed to work every delicious detail you find in Chicken Cordon Bleu into this dish! From the breadcrumb-studded chicken, to the melty cheese sauce, to a side of broccoli florets, this pasta salad has it all, and you don’t need a knife to eat it!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tablespoons milk
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 16 oz. pasta (I used Cavatappi)
- 1 cooked ham steak, cubed
- 2 cups Swiss or Havarti cheese, cubed
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups milk
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- Pinch sea salt
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup light mayonnaise (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; set aside.
- Cube raw chicken breasts and place in a bowl; set aside.
- Place flour & paprika, and bread crumbs in two separate bowls.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs and milk.
- Working in batches, roll cubed chicken in flour, then dredge in egg wash, then coat with bread crumbs and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake chicken for 15-20 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked and browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While chicken is cooking, prep ham & cheese cubes, and broccoli. Place in a large bowl.
- Boil pasta according to box directions. Drain, rinse, and place boiled pasta in the bowl with the other ingredients. Add chicken to bowl and toss everything.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, whisking continuously for 1-2 minutes until a roux is formed.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking until incorporated.
- Stir in bouillon , salt, and pepper, and drop heat to medium-low and allow to simmer 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally but allowing it to thicken slightly.
- Remove sauce from heat. Quickly add Dijon, Worcestershire, Parmesan, and mayonnaise (if desired), whisking briskly to melt cheese and combine ingredients.
- Pour sauce over everything in the bowl, tossing to coat and combine.
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
Pin Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Salad!