Better than takeaway and better for you too, this Chinese beef and broccoli is quick and tasty. This recipe was first published in full on the blog Family Around the Table. We are pleased to share it with you here for Weekday Supper.
I love Chinese food. I’ve never made it at home, though. While shopping at Publix recently, the Apron’s cooking station was making this beef and broccoli recipe so I stopped for a sample. Immediately I knew this was a recipe I needed to try at home. I think my family would agree that this was just as yummy as take out.
Note: It’s important to have all your ingredients prepared and handy as this dish comes together quickly.
- 12 ounces fresh broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1½ pounds top sirloin, cut into strips for stir-fry
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- ½ cups reduced-sodium stir-fry sauce
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1¾ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cut broccoli into bite-sized pieces. Steam in a small amount of water until crisp tender but not completely cooked.
- Preheat a large sauté pan on medium high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Place oil in pan, then add steak, garlic and ginger paste.
- Cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While steak cooks, combine remaining ingredients, except broccoli in a small bowl until well blended.
- Stir broccoli and sauce mixture into beef.
- Bring to a boil; cook 2-3 minutes or until sauce thickens and broccoli is tender.
- Serve with veggie rice.
- In a medium sauté pan, sauté red pepper in butter until soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan combine broth, soy sauce and garlic.
- Bring to a boil on high.
- Stir in rice and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in peas, green onions and red peppers.
- Cover and let stand 5-7 minutes or until broth is absorbed. Fluff with fork and serve.
Recipe adapted from Publix Aprons Simple Meals
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.