Bring the flavors of fall to your dinner table for the whole family with this Weekday Supper! Creamy pumpkin sausage pasta is hearty, delicious, and ready in 30 minutes. It also makes for wonderful leftovers to take to lunch, if you have any leftovers, that is! This recipe was first published in full on the blog eating in instead. We are pleased to share it with you here for Weekday Supper.
Best of all, you probably have all or most of the ingredients in your cupboard or freezer right now! Don’t have sausage or sage? This dish is very flexible so don’t hesitate to substitute.
- ½ pound farfalle or penne pasta
- ½ pound fresh sausage, preferably chorizo or hot Italian sausage without casings
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5-6 button mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1-1½ cups frozen peas (optional)
- 5-6 leaves fresh sage, chiffonade (i.e. roll up the leaves and slice into long ribbons)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 15 ounce can 100% pumpkin puree
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- ¾ cup milk
- 3-4 tablespoons cream cheese or Neufchâtel
- Fresh shavings of Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Meanwhile, as the pasta cooks, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the sausage and onions and sauté together for 4-5 minutes, then add the garlic and mushrooms and sauté for another 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The sausage should be cooked all the way through and browned.
- Next, add the peas, sage, and red pepper flakes and mix together.
- Add the pumpkin puree and stock and stir together until everything is combined and bring everything to a low boil.
- Turn the heat to medium low and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and cream cheese. Then, temper the milk mixture by adding a ¼ cup of the soup to the milk mixture.
- After you temper the milk and cream cheese mixture, add it to the pot in a steady stream.
- Add the drained and cooked pasta to the pumpkin cream sauce and mix everything together.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with fresh Parmesan cheese shavings.
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.