When I’m at a loss for what to make for dinner, I turn to a few, easy tried and true recipes. These go-to recipes include chili, chicken piccata and this easy chicken Parmesan. Typically, there’s some leftover spaghetti or marinara sauce in the freezer, a variety of melty cheeses in the fridge as well as a decent supply of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in our deep freeze. Nobody ever complains when this chicken parm is on the menu!
The process is easy. I place the chicken breasts in a gallon zip topped bag and use a meat mallet to flatten them a bit. Depending on your supermarket, you may be able to buy ready-made chicken cutlets. Next, I dip them in an egg wash, then either in seasoned crushed croutons or doctored up Panko bread crumbs. All they need is a quick sauté in some olive oil to add some color before popping them in the oven topped with cheese and sauce.
I love using slices of mozzarella and provolone for an extra gooey topping. But feel free to use only one or the other. A good sprinkling of Parmesan is needed so that it’s truly chicken Parmesan!
I’ve also included an easy marinara recipe, but a jar of your favorite sauce works in a pinch, too. This easy chicken parmesan is an easy, yummy weekday supper that always receives rave reviews from my crew.
- • ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- • 3 whole garlic cloves
- • 1 cup diced onion
- • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- • 2 large cans of chopped tomatoes
- • Large pinch of sugar
- • 3 basil sprigs (or ½ teaspoon dried basil)
- • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- • 1 teaspoon salt
- • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- • 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded with a meat mallet to an even thickness
- • Box of seasoned croutons, crushed or 1 - 1½ cups breadcrumbs (Panko works well) seasoned with salt, basil and thyme
- • ½ cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese, plus more to sprinkle over the chicken before baking
- • 1 egg mixed with 2 tablespoons milk or water
- • Olive oil
- • Butter
- • 2-6 slices of Provolone cheese (if your slices are thin, you will need the larger amount)
- • 2-6 slices Mozzarella cheese
- Make the marinara: Heat olive oil and cook garlic cloves till slightly golden. Add onions and cook till soft. Add tomato paste and mix to combine and cook briefly. Carefully add tomatoes (oil will splatter), a large pinch of sugar, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove garlic cloves.
- Spray large baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside. Preheat oven to 350º.
- Pound chicken into cutlets about ½-3/4 inch thick. Set aside.
- In a pie tin or shallow bowl, whisk egg with water or milk.
- In another pin tin, mix breadcrumbs and parmesan with ½ teaspoon salt, basil and thyme for each cup (or mix crushed, seasoned croutons with the parmesan and omit the seasonings).
- Heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan.
- Dip chicken first in the egg wash, then in crumbs, pressing to help them adhere. Place into the hot pan and cook on both sides till well browned. Remove to prepared pan. Top each piece of chicken with a half slice of provolone and a half slice of mozzarella (use a whole slice if your cheese slices are thin). Cover chicken with 1½ cups marinara sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
And sign up for our newsletter to get great recipes delivered right to your inbox every Thursday!