April showers bring may flowers, but that’s not all they bring. The end of April means Cinco de Mayo is around the corner! This week the tastemakers are celebrating with their best Easy Cinco de Mayo recipes. These Sunday Supper recipes have everything you need for the perfect fiesta!
While traditionally a Mexican celebration of the victory over France in the Battle of Puebla, it has been celebrated in the United States since the 1860s. Cinco de Mayo has become a celebration of Mexican culture. On May 5th Americans all over the country join in one big fiesta. Many towns hold parades and festivals. Of course, no fiesta is complete without some delicious Mexican food! Before making easy Cinco de Mayo Recipes, it’s important to learn about Mexican cuisine.
Classic Mexican Ingredients:
- Corn – the most important starch in the Mexican diet. While often eaten fresh, it’s also ground into a dough called masa that’s important in many dishes such as Easy Tamale Pie. Mexican street corn is often a favorite dish, but you can also put all those flavors into a corn salad!
- Chili Peppers – Often people find Mexican food spicy, and this is due to their love of chili peppers. Found in almost all Mexican dishes, this ingredient has dominated their palate since the Mesoamerican period. We love to feature chilis in enchiladas, tacos, or even turkey chili!
- Lime – this citrus food is found on the side of most Mexican dishes. That squeeze of lime gives all of their dishes a pop of flavor. Limes are also a key ingredient in a Mexican signature cocktail, the margarita. No Cinco de May celebration is complete without a pitcher of margaritas.
- Beans – Another important starch to the Mexican diet. When combined with rice, beans become a complete protein. This inexpensive meal became a staple in Mexican households, the perfect way to fill up a family. In addition to Rice and Beans, beans can be used in so many delicious dishes. Some Sunday Supper favorite recipes are; bean and cornbread salad, lettuce wraps, and beef and bean enchilada stuffed acorn squash.
- Mexican Chocolate – Often served as a hot chocolate beverage, Mexican chocolate is famous for its touch of spice. Chili powder gives the chocolate one delicious kick. Some of our favorite Mexican chocolate recipes are Mexican Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies and Mexican Hot Chocolate Balls.
With these ingredients the recipe possibilities are endless! Don’t miss out on the fiesta this Sunday, April 30th, on Twitter at 7pm! The tastemakers are sharing some incredible Sunday Supper Recipes. We’ve got everything from margarita cupcakes to black bean cilantro rice!
Sunday Supper Easy Cinco de Mayo Recipes
- Beef and Portobella Tostados by Our Good Life
- Cumin Spiced Potato Quesadillas by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Easy 5 Minute Restaurant Style Salsa by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fiesta Corn Dip Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rotisserie Chicken Nachos by Pies and Plots
- Cherry Paloma by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spicy Micheladas by Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Pineapple Agua Fresca by Authentically Candace
- Cheese Enchiladas with Red Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicken Tinga Chalupas by Palatable Pastime
- Chicken Tortilla Soup by Soulfully Made
- Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Soup by Cooking Chat
- Mexican Chicken and Black Bean Casserole by Simple and Savory
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas with Mexican Slaw by A Mind Full Mom
- Southwestern Chicken Layered Salad with Cilantro Dressing by My Savory Spoon
Sides and Sauces
- Alambre Skillet Cheese Dip by My Life Cookbook
- Black Bean Cilantro Rice by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mango Habanero Sauce by Caroline’s Cooking
- Queso Fundido (Melted Cheese with Chorizo) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Slow Cooker Healthy Refried Beans by Cricket’s Confections
- Blueberry-Chocolate Jicamuffins by What Smells So Good?
- Carlota de Limón – Lime Charlotte by Sunday Supper Movement
- Flourless Mexican Hot Chocolate Cake by Baking Sense
- Margarita Cupcakes by Gourmet Everyday
- Oreo Taco Cookies by Ninja Baker
- Sopapilla-Inspired Cheesecake Bars by Books n’ Cooks
- Strawberry Gluten-Free Hand Pies by And She Cooks
- Chicken Street Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Chicken Fajitas by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lime Chicken Soft Tacos by Life Tastes Good
- Mini Taco Bowl Bites by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Pineapple Lime Chicken Tacos by Brunch-n-Bites
- Taco Bake by My World Simplified
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
And sign up for our newsletter to get great recipes delivered right to your inbox every Thursday!