This easy pot roast cooks long and slow for tender beef that melts in your mouth. Cook it in the oven or for a make-ahead Weekday Supper, pop it in a slow cooker. The smell as you walk through that door will be sublime!
For best results, use a Certified Angus Beef® brand English roast.
- 3½ pounds Certified Angus Beef ® English roast
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Season roast heavily with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Sear roast for a couple minutes on each side over medium-high heat, until nicely browned. Transfer roast to large plate.
- Add onion and garlic to the pot, stirring over medium heat until onions are soft. Stir in flour and tomato paste, followed by stock and Worcestershire sauce. Stir and scrape browned bits from bottom of pot. Add roast back to pot, cover tightly and place in oven. (Optional: transfer roast and liquid to a slow cooker, cover and cook on low 6 to 7 hours until tender.)
- Cook for 3 hours, turn roast, add rosemary and cook approximately one more hour, until completely tender.
- Transfer roast to cutting board and tent with foil. Remove rosemary and, using a ladle, skim fat from liquid. Place Dutch oven on stovetop and bring contents to a boil.
- Slice roast against the grain or pull in bite-size pieces. Serve with reduced sauce.
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
And sign up for our newsletter to get great recipes delivered right to your inbox every Thursday!