Sometimes you just want something simple and effortless for supper and egg drop soup fits that order perfectly with warm broth filled with swirls of delicate egg. It’s great as both a starter and a main meal and will cure what ails you.
This recipe was first published in full on the blog Cosmopolitan Cornbread. We are pleased to share it with you here for Weekday Supper.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 3 scallions, sliced
- To begin, in a Dutch oven, combine the vegetable broth, soy sauce and grated ginger. Before you pour the chicken broth into the Dutch oven, pour a little of it (about a third of a cup) into a little glass. Then pour the rest into the pot. Stir the contents of the pot together and bring it to a boil.
- While that is heating up, whisk the eggs in a dish until smooth. Set it aside for a moment.
- Grab the little glass with the broth, and add in the cornstarch. Whisk this smooth. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the boiling broth.
- With the broth boiling, begin stirring it around in one direction, so that the liquid begins to swirl around the pot. While you are stirring, slowly drizzle the beaten egg into the soup. The egg will fan out and instantly cook in the broth. Add in the white pepper. Turn off the heat.
- Serve topped with slices green onions.
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.