Eighteen fresh and Healthy Strawberry Recipes for the new year brought to you by the #SundaySupper Tastemakers and Florida Strawberry. In this collection you’ll find everything from healthy appetizers perfect for snacking or game day parties to healthy desserts to feed your sweet tooth. And, of course, we’ve included healthy main and side dish recipes made with fresh Florida strawberries to help you plan meals the entire family will enjoy.
Strawberries are good for you!
If you aren’t already a fan of strawberries, you definitely should consider becoming one, because strawberries have lots of health benefits! Indeed, strawberries are low in calories (about 45 per one cup serving), virtually fat free, contain no cholesterol, and are an excellent source of folic acid that helps the body metabolize protein. This sweet berry is a good source of potassium, and only eight medium strawberries contain more vitamin C than one whole orange! Furthermore, research by the USDA indicates that strawberries may help fight cancer and heart disease. That’s a whole lot of goodness packed into our favorite winter berry!
Yes, I said winter berry! Many people think strawberries are only available in the spring or summer, yet, Florida strawberries are harvested all winter long. As a matter-of-fact, Plant City, FL is the Winter Strawberry Capital of the World. It’s home to some of the sweetest, reddest, and juiciest strawberries around. Florida strawberries are available in stores all over the eastern part of the country from November through April. If you don’t see them in your local store, be sure to tell your store manager you’d love to have fresh, Florida strawberries in the produce section all winter.
The Florida Strawberry Growers Association has invited several #SundaySupper Tastemakers to romp around in the strawberry fields this weekend. As a result, we’ll be traveling to Plant City, FL to learn all about the Florida Strawberry industry while we eat … er, I mean pick fresh berries right from the fields! Additionally, we’ll be sharing our healthy strawberry recipes on our websites this Sunday. Check out the list of recipes below to see what we’ve been cooking with our Florida strawberries.
During our strawberrilicious filled weekend, we are staying at the Guy Harvey Outpost, a Tradewinds Island Resort on St. Pete Beach. You can join us (virtually) by following #SundaySupper on social media all weekend! Here’s a taste of what you can expect when you follow us on social media this weekend…
- Strawberry farm tour
- Strawberry Cooling Facility Tour at Grimes Produce
- Learning about strawberry breeding with Dr. Vance Whitaker, Associate Professor and Strawberry Breeder, University of Florida
- S’mores on the beach
- Demo with Chef Aaron Schweitzer of RumFish Grill
- Demo with Mixologist Anthony Ciecalone of RumFish Grill
- Photography with Jeremiah Khokhar of Jeremiah Khokhar Photography
- and even a special Facebook LIVE cooking demo with Strawberry Sue herself!
Most of all we are BERRY excited to announce YOU can win a Florida Getaway with your family! Show us your best Florida Strawberry picture for a free Florida Strawberry cap and a chance to win a trip to sunny Florida! Click here to enter > Florida Strawberry Cap Contest. It’s easy. I promise!! Also, you can check out all the other photo entries at that link! Click here to read the > Official Rules.
Finally, don’t forget to join us LIVE on Twitter this Sunday, January 15th, 2017 at 7 p.m. ET to chat about all the Florida strawberry things. We’ll be tweeting LIVE from RumFish Grill at the Guy Harvey Outpost in St. Pete Beach, FL. Chat with you then!
Follow Florida Strawberry on social media for free recipes and contests
and check out our Fresh Florida Strawberry Recipes Pinterest board where you’ll find lots of great recipe ideas.
Healthy Strawberry Recipes
- Balsamic & Brown Sugar Strawberry Canapés by My Sweet Zepol
- Fresh Mozzarella Strawberry Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Strawberry Foccaccio by Healing Tomato
- Strawberry Avocado Crostini by Beauty and the Beets
- Strawberry Mango Salsa with Whole Wheat Cinnamon Chips by Meghan On The Move
- Feta and Strawberry Tabouleh Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Strawberry Caprese Salad with Balsamic and Mint by Authentically Candace
- Strawberry Panzanella Salad by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Pan-Seared Sea Bass with Butternut Squash and Strawberry Sauce by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pork Chops with Balsamic-Strawberry Sauce by Life Tastes Good
- Strawberry Balsamic Grilled Chicken by Katie’s Cucina
- Strawberry Pesto Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Salad with Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette by Family Around The Table
- Lightened-Up Strawberry Mille-Feuille by Girl Abroad
- Roasted Strawberry Pavlova with Lemon Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberries Romanoff by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Strawberry Buttermilk Cake by Cricket’s Confections
- Strawberry Pound Cake Kabobs With Chocolate Drizzle by My Sweet Savings
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.