A slow cooker is a busy cook’s best friend. Set it in the morning and when you arrive home from work or the kids’ activities, dinner is done. The new cookbook, Slow Cooker Family Favorites – Classic Meals You’ll Want to Share, has taken favorite recipes like this rich hearty beef stew, and adapted them for the slow cooker.
What I love about this cookbook is the variety of recipes for your slow cooker. Many think a slow cooker is for cooking only main dishes but in this collection there are recipes for appetizers including New England clam dip, Buffalo chicken meatballs, and glazed cocktail sausages or sides such as brown sugar carrots, creamy corn casserole and sweet potato mash. There are even desserts. Keep cranberry orange punch or white hot chocolate warm in your slow cooker for a holiday gathering so guests can serve themselves.
The recipes in this cookbook were intended to be prepared in a 6-quart slow cooker but a smaller one could certainly be used to make some of the dips and appetizers.
If you’ve never used a slow cooker before, or maybe don’t even own one yet, the introduction offers great information about how they cook.There are useful tips and tricks, especially if you are having issues like scorching. Author Maggie Shi has been using one a long time and has figured things out like adding an extra ingredient to ramp up flavor or to let the dish sit for a short time to thicken liquids or absorb excess moisture. The introduction shares her experience and knowledge so don’t skip over it.
There are other great reasons to use a slow cooker beside the low maintenance aspect. In case you don’t already know, there are many side dishes you can cook in one to free up your oven. Did you know you can even bake in a slow cooker? This cookbook offers a couple of delicious treats including chocolate peanut butter cake and s’mores casserole, again, freeing up your oven for other dishes.
If you’ve been invited to a bridal shower or wedding consider adding this book to give along with a slow cooker as your gift. You really can’t have too many recipes for your slow cooker.
- 4 pounds beef chuck, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 2 red potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a large bowl, toss the beef in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add a few pieces of beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon to a slow cooker. Repeat with remaining beef and continue browning in batches until all the meat is in the slow cooker.
- Add the wine to the skillet, scraping up any browned bits. Pour the wine into the slow cooker. Stir in the onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic, tomato paste, broth, soy sauce, bay leaf, thyme and salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours until the beef and vegetables are tender. Stir in the peas and allow to warm through just prior to serving. Taste for seasoning.
Editor’s note: This recipe is printed courtesy of the publisher. The author of this review received a copy of the cookbook, Slow Cooker Family Favorites – Classic Meals You’ll Want to Share. No other compensation was received from the publisher. Links to the cookbook are affiliate links.
Many thanks to the publisher Countryman Press who is sponsoring one copy of this wonderful cookbook for a giveaway, open to US residents only. Please check out the book on Amazon and leave a comment on the post – What recipe from Slow Cooker Family Favorites would you try first? – to enter. The rafflecopter has several options for earning more chances to win! The more you do, the better your chances. No purchase necessary. The winner will be notified by email. If the winner does not respond in 48 hours, an alternate winner will be selected.
Enter the Giveaway!
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
Pin the recipe!
Pin the giveaway!