Homemade strawberry “pop-tarts” are so easy to put together that you can bake them up for a Weekday Supper dessert or a special breakfast. As Strawberry Sue says, you can make your own pie crust or buy the pre-made stuff. She prefers to just buy the pre-made dough since it’s easy to work with and will save you some valuable family time. Best of all, made with real pie crust, these will be flakier than their store-bought counterparts.
This recipe is courtesy of the Florida Strawberry Growers Association. We are delighted to share it here for Weekday Supper. You can find more of their delicious strawberry recipes on their website.
- Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts
- 2 pack of Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust
- Strawberry jam (recipe here)
- 1 egg white
- 1¼ cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Unroll the pie crusts onto a floured surface. If you have a rolling pin, feel free to thin them out a bit. A little crust goes a long way here. Use a cookie cutter in whatever fun shape to cut out your crust, or go for the classic 3 inch by 5 inch Pop Tart rectangle. You will need each piece to be the same size and an even number, half for bottom and half for top.
- Spoon a small amount of strawberry jam into the middle of the bottom pieces. Spread evenly but leave around ¼ of an inch on the sides. Carefully lay the top layer on top of the dough and use a fork to smush the edges together so nothing leaks out.
- Poke a series of holes with a thin knife blade across the tops so they can vent, then bake for 20-25 minutes on parchment paper, just until they start to turn golden brown.
- Meanwhile we’ll make the frosting by whisking the egg whites until peaks form. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla, whisking until smooth.
- Spread a thin layer of frosting on the tarts once they are finished baking and have had time to cool. Top off with sprinkles and you’re ready to go!
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.