Huevos Rancheros push a boring egg meal right into spicy and delicious with the addition of spicy jalapeños, fresh ripe tomatoes and refried beans, perfect for a simple but tasty evening meal. This recipe was first published in full on the blog Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen. We are pleased to share it with you here for Weekday Supper.
- I2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 large jalapeños, chopped (remove the ribs and seeds if you want less heat)
- 3 large vine ripened tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Mexican chili powder
- Kosher salt
- 1 15-ounce can refried black beans
- 4 small flour tortillas
- 2 large eggs
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Start by heating the oil, and sauté the onion, and jalapeños for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for an additional minute.
- Reduce the heat and add in the tomatoes.
- Cook the tomatoes until the juices become thick and the tomatoes soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the oregano, chili powder, and salt and simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the black beans in a small pot over medium heat, smashing them with a wooden spoon.
- When beans are hot and sauce is done, heat the tortillas in a small skillet. Place one tortilla on a plate then spoon black beans on top, then place another tortilla on top of the black beans.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in the same skillet and cook two eggs over easy or sunny side up.
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.