Lemon Blueberry Pie Cookies is one of those recipes with endless variations. Those are my favorite types of recipes.
Yes, you can use your homemade pie crust recipe and prepare your own fruit filling. Sometimes, I am pinched for time and prefer to get things going more quickly. So I use refrigerated dough and canned blueberry pie filling. I can change it up for cherry or apple, too. You could even experiment with chunky jams.
To add more flavor to the blueberry pie filling, I stir in a couple teaspoons of lemon zest. This brings puckery zing and freshness.
A couple of tips to make these easy cookies look as lovely as they taste. Don’t overfill the baby pie packets or the filling will ooze out in the baking. Work to keep every bit of sweetness between the pastry layers. Press firmly when sealing the dough around the filling.
Sprinkle liberally with sugar after brushing with an egg wash. The dough needs the sweetness … and so do the eaters.
I serve my cookie-pies with vanilla ice cream. When the cookies-pies are slightly warm, there’s not much better.
It’s likely you will have filling left over. Save it for pancakes or waffles. Or make more Lemon Blueberry Pie Cookies.
- 1 cup blueberry pie filling
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 package refrigerated pie dough, enough for 2 9-inch pies
- Flour for rolling
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sugar for sprinkling
- In a small bowl, mix blueberry pie filling with lemon zest and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the rolling surface lightly with flour. Place 1 sheet of dough on surface and roll to flatten slightly. Using a 2-inch glass or round cookie cutter, press into dough to make rounds. (Repeat with second sheet of dough when ready.)
- Place about 1 teaspoon of filling into center of 1 round of dough and top with another. Press firmly to seal dough. Press edges with tines of fork to further seal. Pierce middle of cookie with sharp nice once to allow heat to escape during cooking. Brush tops with beaten egg and sprinkle liberally with sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.