Mexican Chicken Bowls are full of flavor, quick and easy! This recipe was first published in full on the blog Gluten Free Crumbley. We are pleased to share it with you here for Weekday Supper.
Some weeks get super busy, so make this quick and easy Mexican rice dish that can easily be reheated throughout the week for lunch or dinner! It’s also super easy to scale this Mexican Chicken Bowl recipe for the size of your household!
I like to make this recipe as a slightly healthier variation on fast food Mexican restaurants. I make a big batch of it on the weekend, and then reheat it throughout the week for lunch or dinner.
Here’s a few tips on how to speed up the cooking time on this recipe:
— Use boil in bag rice. You sacrifice some quality of texture for the ease of cooking, but it’s a great way of making rice quickly with minimal clean up.
— Use thinner slices of chicken breasts. It’s quicker to cut the chicken, and it’ll cook quicker and more evenly without any large chunks.
— Cut all the chicken and veggies before you start cooking. You’ll find yourself more organized and your food will have less chance of burning.
- 1 cup white rice
- ½ pound chicken
- 2 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 green onions
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Handful cilantro
- ½ Roma tomato
- Prepare rice to create 1 cup of cooked rice. You can use boil in bag rice or a rice cooker to do so.
- Cube the chicken, set aside in a bowl, and either clean or change out your cutting board.
- Dice the pepper, onion, garlic, and tomato. Slice the tops of the green onions.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp oil and preheat to medium heat. Add the chicken, and cook for about 5-10 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan, and sautee for about 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is tender. Add the pepper and green onions. Cook for about 2 minutes, then add 1 tbsp water to the pan and scrape up the chicken bits.
- Add the chicken, spices, salt, pepper, and rice to the pan. Stir to combine, reduce temperature to medium low and cook for 5 minutes, periodically stirring.
- Transfer to the chicken rice to a service plate, top with tomatoes and cilantro leaves.
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.