Super cheesy and a more than a little bit spicy, these Mexican Cornbread Waffles can be eaten plain or topped with chili con carne. Cooking the batter in a waffle iron gives it the most wonderful golden crunchy exterior.
Once upon a time, when our internet connection was still dial up, my elder daughter was systematically searching for and baking cornbread recipes, looking for the perfect one. While each was edible, possibly even tasty, none was what she considered perfect. She was old enough to be in the kitchen on her own so I didn’t realize it was A Quest until she was a few recipes in. “Just email your grandmother,” I suggested. “She makes the best cornbread.”
And that was true, until I met my friend, Sheila, when we moved to Cairo back in 2013. Sheila turned up at some social event with a pan of the best cornbread I’d ever eaten, packed with sharp cheddar cheese and spicy peppers. The third secret ingredient was creamed corn. Most importantly, she willingly shared the recipe. Since then I’ve baked that batter a number of times, once even putting it in bacon cup muffins. I can’t even tell you how good it was baked in crispy bacon!
I knew that batter, with a few small adjustments, would make awesome waffles as well.
Mexican Cornbread Waffles
- 1 cup or 170g yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup or 32g flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon double acting baking powder
- 1 cup or 226g sour cream
- 1¼ cups or 330g creamed corn
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup or 60ml canola oil, plus extra for greasing the waffle iron
- 1 medium onion
- 2-4 jalapeño peppers and/or chili peppers
- 10½ oz or 300g extra sharp cheddar, grated
- Your favorite chili con carne
- Thinly sliced onions
- Grated sharp cheddar
- Sliced jalapeños
- Chop your onion and your peppers finely.
- Mix the yellow cornmeal, flour, salt baking soda and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- In another smaller bowl, whisk together the sour cream, creamed corn, eggs and oil.
- Add the chopped peppers and onion to the wet ingredients. Stir well.
- Fold your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients until just mixed.
- Now add in the grated cheddar and stir well until combined.
- Heat your waffle iron and brush the interior with a little oil to grease.
- Bake the batter according to manufacturer’s instructions, being careful not to over fill the waffle iron.
Celebrating National Waffle Iron Day
June 29th is National Waffle Iron Day! Our Sunday Supper tastemakers have upped their game for this occasion, creating more than 40 sweet and savory waffle recipes for you to try. Many thanks to today’s host, Sue of Palatable Pastime and our event manager, Renee of Renee’s Kitchen Adventures for all of their hard work. Which delicious waffle will you make first?
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles by Alida’s Kitchen
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Pizelles – The Italian Waffle by GirlAbroad
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebobs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
Savory Brinner Winners:
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Korean Fried Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Luau Egg Benedict Waffle by Brunch-n-Bites
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Scallion Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet and Spicy Pecan Shredded Beef Waffles by Family Foodie
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement To keep up with all the news at Sunday Supper, sign up for our weekly newsletter, delivered right to your inbox.