Mexican Stuffed Peppers are a tasty rift on traditional stuffed peppers, with a boost of Mexican spices and flavors. They are a delicious make ahead weeknight meal! This recipe was first published in full on the blog The Chef Next Door. We are pleased to share it with you here for Weekday Supper.
Looking for a quick, easy, and delicious weeknight meal? Of course you are! Most of us are so busy these days between work, kids, sports, exercise, and our own extra curricular activities, it’s tough to get a good, hot meal on the table.
These Mexican Stuffed Peppers can be made over the weekend, or a night in advance, and then baked the day you want to eat them. You know, when you come home and are exhausted and don’t want to even THINK about what’s for dinner. That’s the perfect night for this meal.
- 4 large sweet bell peppers
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 14.5 oz. can Petite Diced Tomatoes with Lime Juice & Cilantro
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Mexican cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the peppers by cutting off the tops, cutting them in half, and removing the stems and seeds. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and turkey and cook until browned and completely cooked through.
- Add the chili powder. cumin and salt and stir to combine.
- Next, add in the uncooked rice, diced tomatoes and water and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cover.
- Simmer until the rice is cooked through and the liquid has evaporated, which will take about 15 minutes.
- Pour the marinara sauce into the bottom of a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Spoon the filling mixture into each bell pepper half and place them tightly into the prepared baking dish.
- Top each pepper half with some of the Mexican cheese then cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and continue baking another 15 minutes, until the peppers are tender, the filling is hot, and the cheese has melted.
- Serve two pepper halves on a plate with a little sauce from the bottom of the baking dish spooned over the top.
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.