Ah, January. You are filled with many hopes and soooooo many resolutions. I know that one of the resolutions I hear over and over again is to cut down on desserts. While that is not really in my DNA, Mocha Oatmeal Cookies are the perfect compromise for all of us.
Oatmeal is healthy for us and many people eat it for breakfast while enjoying a cup of coffee. Why not bring them together in one cookie? I, being a chocoholic, decided to add chocolate, too, since everything is better with chocolate.
Since December was all about decadent treats, I did not want to blow everyone’s resolutions with an overly sweet cookie. Using unsweetened chocolate helps achieve this goal.
I think the biggest challenge is figuring out whether to eat Mocha Oatmeal Cookies for breakfast, lunch, snack time or dinner. Silly me, why pick only one when you can eat them ALL day long!
- 6 ounces (168 grams) unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 tablespoon (4 grams) instant coffee powder
- 2 cups (280 grams) all purpose flour
- 1½ cups (143 grams) old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (9 grams) salt
- 16 tablespoons (216 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup (164 grams) sugar
- ¾ cup (151 grams) light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 2 or 3 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Stir the coffee powder into the melted chocolate and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, oats, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Place the butter, sugar and brown sugar into a large mixing bowl. Beat until light and creamy, about three minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time followed by the vanilla extract.
- Blend in the chocolate/coffee. Mix in the dry ingredients.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Use a 2 teaspoon cookie dough scoop to shape the cookies onto the prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 12 minutes, rotating the pans top to bottom and front to back halfway through. Cool completely on the pans.
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
And sign up for our newsletter to get great recipes delivered right to your inbox every Thursday!