Our Sunday Supper Movement founder, Isabel, put a call out on social media – okay, Facebook – asking her friends if they had a special meal request for Mother’s Day. The responses rolled in quickly. Funnily enough, they weren’t all food. We thought it would be fun to share some of the best ones with you today – what Mom really wants for Mother’s Day – as Sunday Supper celebrates Mom’s Favorite Recipes.
Just in case you thought that flowers or jewelry might top the list, the request that got the most mentions and “Likes” was
1. Any dish that is prepared by someone else. Many moms said that they didn’t care what the dish was as long as someone else was cooking, although we did get a few foodie votes for macaroni salad, cheesecake, macadamia nut cookies, salmon and Mediterranean food. One mom said, “It could be eggs and bacon in the morning with toast!! I think it should go from breakfast to dinner, an all day thing!” We totally agree.
2. No dishes to wash! No mom wants to do dishes on Mother’s Day. Brunch out was mentioned a few times since that also means no washing up to do after. You know what would be a great Mother’s Day gift? Promise to do the dishes for a week.
3. Room service. Now that would imply a night in a hotel too, but we are prepared to get behind that suggestion as well. Doesn’t your mom deserve some time some place special, maybe even alone? Which brings us to the next thing Mom really wants for Mother’s Day.
4. Silence. Yep, it’s that simple. She’d love some peace and quiet. Perhaps to read a good book, while sipping a glass of wine.
5. And speaking of wine, Mom would also like a fancy drink, perhaps some mimosas or sangria to celebrate.
6. Moms really want you to help them with their projects. As one mom put it, “The only dish I’ve ever wanted for Mother’s Day was a simple plate with a card that said, ‘We plan to help you garden today.’ That was HUGE for them because they didn’t enjoy it but knew it was all I really wanted!”
That, children, is how you earn some serious brownies points with Mom. What would your mom like you to help with for Mother’s Day? Think about it.
You know what else mom really wants for Mother’s Day?
7. Sleep. Never mind the breakfast in bed or at least don’t bring it in at the crack of dawn. Keep the house quiet and let Mom sleep in for Mother’s Day.
And finally, the most precious gift of all, what mom really wants for Mother’s Day is
8. Family. Be there if you can. Call if you can’t. Once again, it’s that simple. Moms just want to know you love and appreciate them.
Please leave us a comment! What do you really want for Mother’s Day? And if we’ve already named it, please pass this on to your children, however old they might be!
This week our Sunday Supper tastemakers are sharing either their mothers’ favorite dishes or favorite recipes they’ve learned from their moms. It’s a fabulous line-up of deliciousness.
Starters (Appetizers, Beverages, Breakfast)
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal by Cooking With Carlee
- Frozen Piña Colada by The Redhead Baker
- Goats Cheese Rolls with Honey and Thyme by Manu’s Menu
- Mom’s Banana Bread by Family Around the Table
- Mom’s Famous Poppy Seed Bread With A Citrus Glaze by And She Cooks
- Mom’s Wine Spritzer by Momma’s Meals
Salads, Side Dishes, and Sauces
- Asiago Bruschetta Roasted Asparagus by Flavor Mosaic
- Italian Country Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mom’s Cucumbers in Vinegar by Simple And Savory
- Mom’s Homemade Perogies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mom’s Potato Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Polish Haluski (Pan Fried Noodles & Sauerkraut) by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spinach Salad with Simple Vinaigrette by Cooking Chat
- Zippy Barbecue Sauce by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Chicken and Egg Salad Sandwich by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce by Casa de Crews
- Fried Smelt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Granny Smith’s Meatloaf by Get the Good Stuff!
- Jean’s Best Vegetable Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon & Garlic Herbed Roasted Chicken by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mama’s Favorite Southern Fried Chicken by The Chef Next Door
- Mom’s Cheese & Onion Enchiladas by The TipToe Fairy
- Mom’s Lentil Toastadas by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Moussaka by My Life Cookbook
- Shirley’s Potato Soup by Our Good Life
- Mom’s Spare Ribs To Go by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Mom’s Sukiyaki: Japanese Beef and Vegetables Hot Pot by Asian In America
- Myra’s Super Supper by Tramplingrose
- Pizza Meatloaf by A Mind Full Mom
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Apple Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Crisp by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Gretchen’s Baklava by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Brown Sugar Pudding by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Butter Balls by Feeding Big and More
- Carrot Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cherry Truffle Cheesecake by What Smells So Good?
- Crustless Pecan Pie Rice Pudding by Desserts Required
- Double Layer Chocolate Cake with Red Wine Chocolate Buttercream by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Classic Date Squares by She Loves Biscotti
- Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Cake by What The Fork Food Blog
- Homemade Chocolate Cherry Candies by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Hungarian Crepes: Palacsinta by My Gourmet Connection
- Lemon Cookies with White Chocolate and Mint by The Finer Cookie
- Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze and Roasted Strawberries by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Mom’s Apple Pie by Wholistic Woman
- Mom’s Famous White Icing by Monica’s Table
- Mom’s Mayonnaise Cake by My World Simplified
- Pavlova with Raspberries and Cream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Rocky Road Brownie Sundae for Mom by The Weekend Gourmet
- Rose Shortbread Cookies by Baking Sense
- Sour Cream Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
Plus What Mom Really Wants for Mother’s Day and Mom’s Favorite Recipes from Sunday Supper
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.