Rice Krispies Treats can be tinkered with in endless ways. At their purist core, they are simply melted marshmallows and butter mixed with Rice Krispies and then chilled. That’s it.
But cooks, including bakers, don’t like to be constrained by recipes. So we add M&Ms or maybe Reese’s Pieces to the mix. We stir in Nutella and bacon. We drizzle chocolate on top. Food coloring in the melted marshmallow mixture turns them festive — green for St. Patrick’s Day, pink for Easter and orange for Halloween.
The tinkering is endless.
So in today’s Cookie Jar is yet another idea for the no-bake cereal cookies, Nutty Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats. I don’t know if I will ever make them another way. (Oh, who am I kidding? I am an experimental cook.)
The base marshmallow base is mixed with peanut butter. After the sticky mixture is pushed into the 8-inch square pan (I use my hands coated with non-stick spray), melted dark chocolate chips are spread evenly over the top with an offset spatula. And then, and this is the best part, chopped Spanish peanuts are sprinkled liberally over the chocolate. The pan goes into the fridge for at least an hour to chill.
To make it easier to cut, I coat my knife with non-stick spray. This helps make even bars.
These bars are easy enough for the kids to help prepare, and classy enough to take to a party. They also make a great gift. Or save them all for yourself and a week’s worth of midnight snacks.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 24 large marshmallows
- 4 cups Rice Krispies (or another puffed rice cereal)
- ⅔ cup dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cups salted Spanish peanuts, chopped
- Line an 8-inch square pan with foil, draping some of the foil over the edge so the entire block can be lifted out and cut. Just before adding sticky cereal mixture, spritz foil with non-stick spray.
- In a microwave-safe 4-quart bowl, combine peanut butter and marshmallows. Cover with plastic, leaving a small portion uncovered to vent. Microwave on high 1 minute or until melted. With a rubber spatula, quickly stir in rice cereal until evenly coated. Pat into prepared pan.
- In another microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate chips on high 35 to 45 seconds until soft. Stir until smooth and melted. Spread over puffed rice mixture. Sprinkle with peanuts, pressing gently to adhere. Refrigerate until chocolate is set, at least 1 hour.
- Cut into 16 pieces.