Simmered in chicken stock for great depth of flavor, this Orzo with Chicken and Spinach is a tasty weeknight treat. This recipe was first published in full on the blog Cooking Chat as part of a social media campaign for Perdue®. We are pleased to share it with you here for Weekday Supper.
- 5 cups PERDUE® Signature Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 sage leaves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ pounds boneless chicken breast, sliced crosswise ½ inch thick before cooking
- 1 pound orzo
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach, rinsed and chopped. (5 ounces packaged spinach works too)
- ½ pound grated Parmesan cheese
- Pour the PERDUE® Signature Chicken Stock into a pan and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Heat the olive oil in another large pan on medium heat. Add the onions to the olive oil, and sauté for a few minutes until they begin to soften.
- Stir in the red bell pepper, sage and dried basil, and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add a ladle full of the stock into pan with the onions and peppers after they have softened. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken to the pan, cook for about 5 minutes until the chicken begins to turn white.
- Stir the orzo into the pot, then add the remaining chicken stock from the other pan.
- Simmer uncovered, and stir frequently until the broth has been mostly absorbed, about 15 minutes. When there's just a bit of broth left unabsorbed, stir in the spinach, which will wilt with a couple minutes of cooking.
- Test the orzo after the liquid is absorbed. If you want it to be a bit more tender, finish it by adding another ½ cup of broth or water and cooking for a few more minutes. When the orzo is cooked to your liking, stir in the cheese, and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
We are partnering with Perdue® to present quick and easy meals using their new Signature Chicken Stock. Learn more about Perdue, including The Perdue Way, Where to Buy, Recipes and Tips From the Kitchen, at http://www.perdue.com/ Learn more about PERDUE® Signature Chicken Stock here: http://www.perduechickenstock.com/. Join the Perdue Crew to get some pretty sweet rewards. http://www.perduecrew.com/. For even more inspiration, follow the Perdue Pinterest board. You can connect with Perdue on Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest.
I received Perdue® Signature Chicken Stock from Perdue in conjunction with a sponsored social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.