Peppermint bark and the holidays are synonymous. There is more to peppermint bark than just the candy as Dominique DeVito’s new book, The Peppermint Bark Cookbook: Over 75 Recipes for Delicious Homemade Treats, from Milkshakes to Cheesecakes, will show you. If you enjoy making homemade treats, you will find a plethora of choices to make in this book. From different varieties of peppermint bark to treats that use that peppermint bark you made and more.
As you leaf through the book you probably will want to make everything. The photography makes each dish appetizing and festive. My advice is to make a double batch of bark so you have extra for other recipes. When the recipes call for crushed peppermint candies you can use either candy canes or starlight mints. Starlight mints can be found year round so you can make these recipes for other occasions, not just the holidays.
There is a nice variety of peppermint bark recipes. In addition to traditional basic bark you can make winter white peppermint bark, double chocolate peppermint bark, mint Oreo bark, mocha java bark and Hanukkah bark. Bacon lovers will enjoy the baco-mint bark. There are kid friendly as well as grown up bark recipes. The Irish mint bark uses Irish cream liqueur while many of the beverages have liquor as well.
The first step is making some bark. Then you are prepared for the Bark Makes Other Things Better chapter. For example, chocolate cookies stuffed with peppermint bark is an easy recipe because it starts with a cake mix. Could you use store bought bark? Probably, but homemade is so much better and it really takes no time at all to make. Bark shortbread, bark chip cookies, Boston cream bark pie, creamy no-bake cheesecake with chocolate bark crust and peppermint bark brownies are a few others.
There are even a number of recipes that don’t include bark. A peppermint mocha milkshake would be a fun signature drink for a holiday party. Kids, young and old, are sure to enjoy the choco-mint shake which is a kid-friendly, non-alcoholic beverage. White chocolate coco-mint truffles, homemade peppermint patties or homemade peanut butter cups would look pretty as a party favor or hostess gift. Include a few of each in a bag or tin for variety.
- 1 4 ounce bag popcorn
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 ounces white chocolate chips
- Peppermint candies, crushed into shards
- Put candies in a strong plastic bag and use a hammer or rolling pin to crush them into shards. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Microwave the popcorn per the instructions on the package and allow to cool.
- Spread the popped corn kernels on the parchment paper, keeping it in a single layer.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips in 20 - 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until the chips are just melted. Drizzle the melted chocolate evenly over the popcorn.
- In another microwave safe bowl, melt the white chocolate chips in the same way. When just melted, drizzle the white chocolate over the popcorn.
- Sprinkle the chocolate-covered popcorn with the peppermint pieces.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until chocolate sets. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Makes about 2 dozen pieces.
Editor’s note: This recipe is printed courtesy of the publisher. The author of this review received a copy of the cookbook,The Peppermint Bark Cookbook: Over 75 Recipes for Delicious Homemade Treats, from Milkshakes to Cheesecakes. No other compensation was received from the publisher. Links to the cookbook are affiliate links.
Many thanks to the publisher Cider Mill Press who is sponsoring one copy of this wonderful cookbook for a giveaway, open to US and Canadian residents only. Please check out the book on Amazon and leave a comment on the post – What recipe from The Peppermint Bark Cookbook would you try first? – to enter. The rafflecopter has several options for earning more chances to win! The more you do, the better your chances. No purchase necessary. The winner will be notified by email. If the winner does not respond in 48 hours, an alternate winner will be selected.
Enter the Giveaway!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.