Pepperoni and Beef Pizza Casserole is a delicious Weekday Supper to make for any pizza loving family. It’s full of macaroni pasta and topped with mozzarella cheese.
September has arrived and brings autumn with it. Labor Day is the symbolic last day of summer. Fall officially starts a few weeks later. With the season change a shift happens in cravings. Even salads become heartier. Comfort food rules until spring. This is why I’m sharing a Pepperoni and Beef Pizza Casserole for Weekday Supper.
Pizza has endless possibilities. Likewise with casseroles. Put the two of them together and a feast begins. I decided to keep it simple with a meaty version of pepperoni and ground beef. The twist is with peppers. Instead of the usual bell pepper, I’m using banana pepper.
Banana peppers give a little zing to the casserole. They pair beautifully with beef. My husband and I discovered this when a restaurant accidentally put them on a steak sandwich. One bite is all it took. From then on it is how we order our steak sandwiches and pizzas.
Pepperoni and Beef Pizza Casserole is easy to make. It’s basically browning beef with onions and peppers while cooking macaroni. Combine them with pizza sauce and seasonings. Pour into a casserole dish and scatter pepperoni on top. Bake for a little while then cover with cheese and more pepperoni. It goes back in the oven until the cheese is melted and gooey. Then it’s time to dig in – oh yea!
Serve a simple salad with the casserole. It makes for a balanced meal by adding leafy green vegetables to your plate. Oh, and the time it takes to make the casserole is close to an hour. However most of the time is baking. You can multi-task and do some other things while the casserole is in the oven.
How about more Weekday Supper recipes? It’s easy to find them. All you have to do is search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media and this website. Check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration. Also subscribe to the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of the fun and yumminess: Sunday Supper Newsletter
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion (sweet or yellow)
- ⅓ cup chopped mild banana pepper rings
- 14 ounces pizza sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 2½ quart baking dish.
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions. Drain.
- While macaroni is cooking, combine beef, onion, and banana peppers in a large sauté pan or Dutch oven.
- Cook until beef is browned, stirring to crumble while cooking. Drain and return mixture to pan.
- Add pizza sauce, garlic salt, oregano, and red pepper flakes to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Add cooked pasta to the pan and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Top evenly with pepperoni, reserving a few slices for top.
- Cover casserole and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover, top with cheese and remaining pepperoni slices.
- Bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
Pin Pepperoni and Beef Pizza Casserole!