The warm summer months have crept up on us, and already we’re in July! With the 4th behind us, we’ve had our fill of grill-outs and fireworks, so this week for Sunday Supper, we’re packing up our baskets and celebrating another summertime tradition: the picnic! Roll out your blanket and sit down with us. Our tastemakers are bringing their best picnic recipes with them this week! Of course, there are a few things you’ll need before you can have your picnic. These Sunday Supper picnic basket essentials will help you prepare your picnic so that you can focus on having a fun day outdoors, and not on what you might have forgotten to pack!
When you think of a picnic, what comes to mind? Most likely, it’s the basics: a blanket, a basket for our best picnic recipes, and a cooler for drinks. That said, when it comes to picnicking, there’s plenty to pack — and, as a result, plenty to forget! Thankfully, these picnic basket essentials will check off your list for you.
Picnic Basket Essentials
- First things first: don’t forget the blanket! It’s not a proper picnic without a blanket. Bring a blanket big enough to cover the space required for your basket and everyone planning to picnic with you. It’s not a bad idea to bring an extra, just in case.
- Bring a bottle opener or a corkscrew, depending on what drinks you’re packing. It would ruin your fun to bring your favorite beverage with you and have no way of opening it once you’re all set up, so don’t forget these picnic basket essentials! If you want some tasty inspiration, check out our guide on How to Make Mixed Drinks for Summer.
- Pack disposable cups, glasses, cutlery and plates. You don’t want to weigh down your basket with dinnerware from home — and you definitely don’t want to risk breaking anything! Make sure you pack enough for everyone eating, and a little more just in case. Extra tip: If you’re bringing disposable goods, consider bringing your own trash bag to collect them once you’re done with them.
- Salt & pepper packets or grinders! Just about everyone has that picky person in their life who thinks that everything needs more salt. Maybe you’re that picky person! If so, don’t forget to bring salt and pepper.
- Other condiments like ketchup, mustard, mayo, etc. For the same reason as bringing salt and pepper, it’s a good idea to pack condiments, whether you use the disposable packets or take them straight from the fridge.
- Wet wipes and paper towels are definitely picnic basket essentials. Picture this: you’re mid-pulled pork sandwich, with BBQ sauce all over your fingers. You forgot the wet wipes. Now your options for cleaning your hands become wiping them on your clothes or the blanket. Neither are preferable. Bring wet wipes! Paper towels or dry napkins are good for everything else, but they don’t quite do the trick for sticky fingers.
- Bring a tray. A tray of some kind is a picnic basket essential. It will give you a flat, sturdy surface to set down your drinks so that they’re less likely to spill. It’s no fun getting lemonade all over everything.
- Are you packing cheeses and meats for a platter, or bread that you have to slice? Bring a cutting board. And don’t forget the knife!
The most important thing to bring with you to a picnic is your appetite. Pack your best picnic recipes, and have a good time out in the sun. Don’t forget your sunscreen and sunglasses! Hungry for more tips and recipes? Check out our blueberry chicken salad + picnic tips, and 5 easy ways to make picnic food fun plus a picnic packing list!
Ready to eat?
Authentic German Potato Salad + more than 25 of our Best Picnic Recipes
Join us on Sunday!
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
And sign up for our newsletter to get great recipes delivered right to your inbox every Thursday!