There’s something delicious about sitting around the pool with friends when summer temperatures sizzle. Slater on the sunscreen, load up the ice chest and get ready for some poolside fun. Oh, and one more thing, serve up some homemade fruit pops to cool down party guests.
Sure, you can buy fruity ice pops but making them yourself allows you to get creative while preserving chunky fruit in your frozen treats. Add some fresh herbs. Think about whole berries. Reduce the sugar if that’s what you’d like to do. Use ripe fruit at its summer peak and you might not need much sweetener at all. If you don’t have ice pop forms, use small plastic cups and buy the sticks at any craft store.
Here are five fantastic fruit pop ideas that just might get your creative juices flowing to come up with your own combinations.
1. Watermelon-Basil. Crush watermelon in the blender and stir in finely chopped fresh basil. You won’t need much basil and you’ll want the herb cut finely so that eaters aren’t picking green bits out of their teeth. Pour into molds or cups and freeze for about 3 hours.
2. Strawberry-Kiwi. Puree strawberries in the blender. Pour into bowl and stir in small chunks of peeled kiwi. There will be seeds in this pop so some children won’t be fans. Good fiber though! Pour into molds or cups and freeze for about 3 hours.
3. Peach Smoothie. Make your favorite peach smoothie using Greek vanilla yogurt. Use fresh peaches or frozen, but don’t add ice to the smoothie to prevent diluting the peach flavor. Add finely chopped fresh mint if you’d like. Pour into molds or cups and freeze for about 3 hours.
4. Coconut-Mango. Puree fresh or frozen mango chunks. Add coconut milk and bit of sugar. Taste to make sure the mixture is sweet enough. To thick? Add a water or even coconut water. Pour into molds or cups and freeze for about 3 hours.
5. Blueberry-Apple. Mix fresh blueberries with apple juice and pour into molds or cups and freeze for about 3 hours. (If you let the apple juice get slushy first, the blueberries will distribute more evenly rather than sink to one end.)
Consider ice pops for your next pool party. The Sunday Supper tastemakers have had a great time this week coming up with a full menu of pool party food ideas. From cocktails to other fruity drinks, appetizers, main dishes and sides, plus desserts, we’ve got the goods to make yours the party of the summer.
Join us at 7 p.m. tonight for our weekly live Twitter chat. Sunday Supper hosts this week’s event and you can bet there will be lively conversation and plenty of tips about entertaining. In the meantime, check out this week’s recipes:
Refreshing Beverages and Cocktails:
- Beermosas by eating in instead
- Cantaloupe Margaritas by Palatable Pastime
- Ginger Peach Sangria with Plums by Whole Food | Real Families
- Lime and Ginger Cordial by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Lime in the Coconut Caipirinha by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Limeade Splash by Our Good Life
- Mojito Slush by Life Tastes Good
- Pear and Cranberry Orange Cocktail by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spiked Blackberry Lemonade by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Appealing Appetizers and Snacks:
- Chip and Dip Sunflowers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Coconut Key Lime Cheesecake Dip by The Crumby Cupcake
- Eggplant, Spinach and White Bean Dip with Homemade Cheddar Crackers by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Spicy Shrimp with Pineapple Aioli by A Gouda Life
- Low-Carb Turkey Club Bites by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Jalapeno Hummus by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Spicy Cheesy Corn Dip by Brunch with Joy
- Tropical Fruit with Moscato Glaze Quesadilla by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Zesty Tex-Mex Shrimp Cocktail by The Weekend Gourmet
Super Sides and Salads:
- BLT Pasta Salad by A Day in the Life on a Farm
- Mexican Three Bean Salad by Tasting Page
- Olive Tomato Salad by Magnolia Days
- Superfood Crunch Salad by Food Done Light
Tempting Desserts and Sweets:
- 5 Fantastic Fruit Pops by Sunday Supper Movement
- Butter Pecan M&M’s Magic Bars by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Pink Lemonade Cupcakes by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Oatmeal Toffee Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sour Cherry Crumb Cake by Pies and Plots
- Swim Ring Cakes by The Freshman Cook
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Janet K. Keeler
Latest posts by Janet K. Keeler (see all)
- Baked Puerto Rican Meat Pies and More Pie Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement - February 28, 2016
- Strawberry Almond Milk by Sunday Supper Movement - February 15, 2016