There appears to be no end of buffalo chicken flavored food. Sure, there are the wings born in the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, N.Y., and now served in every sports bar and casual restaurant across the county. And then there’s the spicy dips, salads, sandwiches, pizza and, for heaven’s sakes, even potato chips with hot sauce flair. So Buffalo Chicken Meatballs are not much of a stretch.
I don’t use versatile ground chicken enough and I am happy to add this recipe to my dinnertime (or party-time) repertoire. It’s one of those dishes that can do double duty as a main dish or as a party appetizer, especially if it’s accompanying an important TV sports event. Did someone say March Madness?
This week, the Sunday Supper tastemakers have been rolling little mounds of goodness using all sorts of ingredients for our meatball extravaganza. Scroll down to check out the recipes. Please join us at 7 p.m. ET tonight for our weekly Twitter chat during which you will be inspired to try something new.
Another reason I like this recipe is that the meatballs are baked, rather than fried. This don’t need to be browned either, saving a step. After baking, they are rolled in a mixture of hot sauce (I used Frank’s) and melted butter. The recipe can easily be doubled.
This is a Rachael Ray recipe that I adapted slightly. I found that the mixture was too wet to hold together so I added some panko bread crumbs. You might not need to depending on how much liquid the grated onion gives off. Adjust the bread crumbs accordingly, but it the mixture doesn’t roll easily, it’s too wet.
Buffalo chicken wings are traditionally served with blue cheese dressing. I like to make my own buttermilk-based dressing using a good quality blue cheese such as Maytag. Many well-stocked grocery carry the Iowa cheese. This pungent, tangy blue is slightly crumbly so it holds its shape in the dressing. I like it chunky! The classic wings accompaniments carrots and blue cheese work well here, too.
I have made these meatballs several times and it there are any left over, they reheat well. Oh, and another plus … no bones!
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 6 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Snipped chives for garnish (optional)
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- ½ small onion, grated
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup hot sauce, such as Frank's brand
- Celery sticks and carrot sticks, for serving
- To make the dressing, whisk together buttermilk and mayonnaise. Stir in half of the cheese blue and then season with black pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use. Scatter with remaining cheese and snipped chives (if using) just before serving.
- To make the meatballs, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground chicken, onion, bread crumbs, garlic and parsley and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Divide mixture into 16 even portions and form into balls.
- Arrange the meatballs on a sheet pan and drizzle them with oil. Bake until the meatballs are cooked through, about 10-12 minutes.
- While the meatballs bake, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the hot sauce and whisk to combine. Toss the baked meatballs in the hot sauce to coat.
- Serve on toothpicks with blue cheese dressing for dipping, and carrots and celery on the side.
Need more meatball inspiration? Check out these great recipes from the Sunday Supper tastemakers:
- Bacon Wrapped Cheesy Meatballs with Maple Balsamic Sauce from The Crumby Cupcake
- Cheesy Stuffed Pepperoni Pizza Meatballs from The Weekend Gourmet
- Crab Cake Mini Meatballs with Tartar Sauce from The Texan New Yorker
- Garlicky Shrimp Meatballs from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Korean Meatballs from Palatable Pastime
- Saucy Thai Meatballs from Brunch-n-Bites
- Slow Cooker Turkey Appetizer Jelly Meatballs from Noshing With The Nolands
- Stuffed Meatballs from The Freshman Cook
- Tofu Nuggets from NinjaBaker
- Turkey Meatballs in Orange Sauce from Pine Needles In My Salad
- Turkey Meatballs with Spinach and Goat Cheese from Our Good Life
- Russian Meatball Soup from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Main Dish Meatballs:
- All-Purpose Meatballs from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Baked Meatballs with Swiss Chard from And She Cooks
- Bourbon Baked Bean Meatballs from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Italian Meatball Sandwich from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken Parmesan Meatball Casserole from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Deep Dish Skillet Meatball Pizza from From Gate to Plate
- Fightin’ Irish Balls from Monica’s Table
- General Tso’s Chicken Meatballs from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grandma’s Italian Meatball Subs from Family Around The Table
- Hamballs from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Kefta Mkaouara (Moroccan Meatballs Tagine) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Keftedakia (Greek-style Meatballs) from Tramplingrose
- Kofte-Style Lamb Meatballs in a Tomato-Pepper Sauce from Caroline’s Cooking
- Meatball Subs from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Moroccan Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce from MyGourmetConnection
- Orecchiette and Meatball Skillet Dinner from Momma’s Meals
- Persian Lamb Meatballs from Food Lust People Love
- Portuguese Meatballs in Garlicky Wine Sauce from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Meatballs from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Slow Cooker Meatball Stew from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Spanish Meatballs from The Chef Next Door
- Sriracha Sesame Turkey Meatballs from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Sun Dried Tomato & Bulgarian Feta Chicken Meatballs over Lemon-Spinach Orzo From Simply Healthy Family
- Swedish Meatballs (Frikadeller) from Feeding Big
- Swedish Meatballs with Zucchini Ribbons from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Sweet & Sour Freezer to Slow-Cooker Meatballs from Wholistic Woman
- Tajine-el-Khoukh (Algerian Stuffed Peaches) from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Thai Meatball Lettuce Wraps from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Thai Spaghetti and Meatballs from Kitchen Gidget
- Thai Red Curry Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce from kimchi MOM
- Ultimate Pasta & Meatballs from MealDiva
- Brownie Meatballs with Frosting Spaghetti from Pies and Plots
Plus Buffalo Chicken Meatballs and More Amazing Meatball Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Janet K. Keeler
Latest posts by Janet K. Keeler (see all)
- Baked Puerto Rican Meat Pies and More Pie Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement - February 28, 2016
- Strawberry Almond Milk by Sunday Supper Movement - February 15, 2016