April is National Grilled Cheese Month, a celebration that the Sunday Supper tastemakers was happy to mark this week. There are not many dishes more comforting than a gooey and buttery grilled cheese sandwich.
Nothing wrong with American cheese on white bread, but the more adventurous among us had fun testing some interesting combinations. Highly meltable havarti paired beautifully with slices of crisp Granny Smith apple. And we didn’t stop there. Brown mustard, Swiss cheese and caramelized onions? Yes, please. Brie and whole cranberry sauce? Sure thing.
We not only upped our grilled cheese game, but learned to pair that perfect sandwich with wine. Wine, cheese and bread are a classic hors d’oeuvres offering, so rearranging those ingredients made delicious sense.
The Sunday Supper tastemakers partnered with Gallo Family Vineyards this week to stretch our creativity. We learned that Merlot plays well with bold flavors such as Camembert and cheddar. Plus, Pinot Noir is a good pal of Italian fontina, mozzarella and provolone. And blue cheese pairs equally nicely with Riesling and Cafe Zinfandel. Oh, what tasty fun we had experimenting.
We hope you will join us around the family table this week as we share our clever grilled cheese combinations paired with delicious Gallo Family Vineyards wine. Also look at Gallo’s fabulous grilled cheese recipes. Here are the Sunday Supper grilled cheese recipes:
- Bacon Inverted Grilled Cheese by Brunch with Joy
- BBQ Pulled Pork and Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Brie, Raspberry and Honey Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Egg Prosciutto Grilled Cheese by Magnolia Days
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by The Redhead Baker
- Garlicky Anaheim Pepper Grilled Cheese by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Kale Grilled Cheese by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Cheese with Spinach and Roasted Red Peppers by Ruffles & Truffles
- Grilled Havarti with Onion Jam by Nosh My Way
- Grilled Gruyère on Rye with Crisped Sage and Pink Lady Slices by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Loaded Sharp Cheddar and Black Forest Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Longaniza Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Peaceful Cooking
- Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Roasted Cauliflower, Ham and Brie Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Tomato Caprese Grilled Cheese by One Sweet Mess
- Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese by Life Tastes Good
- Tomato Bacon Jam Grilled Cheese by Feed Me, Seymour
- Tomato, Prosciutto and Gruyère Grilled Cheese by Casa de Crews
- Twenty Ways to Make Grilled Cheese plus Wine Pairings on the Sunday Supper Movement website
More on Gallo Family Vineyards: Follow them on social media to keep up the latest on their happenings and wines. Here are quick links to GFV’s profiles: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. The Gallo Family Vineyards website has lots of information on their wines plus wine & food pairings and a handy store locator.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Janet K. Keeler
Latest posts by Janet K. Keeler (see all)
- Baked Puerto Rican Meat Pies and More Pie Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement - February 28, 2016
- Strawberry Almond Milk by Sunday Supper Movement - February 15, 2016