Strawberries are an amazingly versatile fruit. The berries can be used in recipes both savory and sweet, and you don’t always need a recipe to enjoy them. Just some sour cream and brown sugar for dipping trimmed, fresh berries. We’ve got even nore delicious strawberry ideas to celebrate Florida’s winter berry crop.
We are excited to have Florida Strawberry at the table for tonight’s 7 p.m. ET Twitter party. This year’s crop is especially luscious and the Sunday Supper tastemakers have developed strawberry recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. (And maybe in between.)
Besides using Florida winter strawberries in salads, drinks and sauces, among other things, here are 10 ideas for ways to enjoy them:
1, Prepare strawberry salsa for grilled fish by mixing diced berries with equal-size diced red onion, jalapeno and red bell pepper. Mix in chopped fresh, cilantro, fresh orange juice and lime juice plus a bit of extra-virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
2, Make strawberry ice tea by pureeing 1 pint fresh strawberries in a blender; strain into pitcher to remove seeds. Stir in 4 cups cold iced tea, 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup lemon juice until sugar dissolves. Serve over ice with strawberry garnish.
3. Freeze strawberries for later. Place berries in single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Once frozen, transfer to an air-tight plastic bag or container.
4. Soften vanilla ice cream and then mix in diced berries. Refreeze.
5. Dot halves with balsamic vinegar. The sweet berries mingle deliciously with the tangy, aged vinegar.
6. Dip in mascarpone or cream cheese that’s been whipped with honey.
7. Another dip: brown sugar and sour cream.
8. Saute spinach in olive oil and then add strawberry halves before serving.
9. Prepare a salad of strawberries and other berries dressed with Greek yogurt and a squeeze of lemon juice.
10. And for something non-edible: Make a homemade strawberry foot scrub by mashing 8 to 10 berries in a small bowl then adding 2 tablespoons almond oil, 1 teaspoon each vitamin E oil and sea salt. Combine until a thick paste forms. Massage into feet and hands to exfoliate. Rinse with warm water.
While you’re contemplating those ideas and making sure you put tonight’s 7 p.m. ET Twitter chat on your schedule, check out this week’s recipes:
Strawberries for Starters
- Crispy Strawberry and Brie Bites by Ruffles & Truffles
- Strawberry Balsamic Chicken Flatbread by The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry Basil Goat Cheese Ball by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Strawberries for Breakfast
- Creamy Strawberry Chia Seed Avocado Smoothie by An Appealing Plan
- Fresh Strawberry Breakfast Parfait by The Freshman Cook
- Strawberry Balsamic Frittata by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Strawberry Bread by Desserts Required
- Strawberry Breakfast Cake by Recipe for Perfection
- Strawberry French Toast Kabobs by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Strawberry Guacamole & Bacon Toast by I’m Not the Nanny
Strawberries for Lunch
- Strawberry-Poppyseed Chicken Salad Sandwiches by Casa de Crews
- Venison Street Tacos by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Strawberry Brie Flatbread Salad by Family Foodie
- Strawberry Caprese Salad by Life Tastes Good
Strawberries for Dinner
- Balsamic Pork Salad with Strawberries and Goat Cheese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Healthy One Pot Chicken Strawberry Paella by Food Done Light
- Pecan Chicken with Strawberry Chipotle Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Quinoa with Salmon and Strawberries by Cooking Chat
- Strawberry BBQ Meatballs by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Risotto by Magnolia Days
Plus don’t miss Delicious Strawberry Ideas and Sweet Recipes by Sunday Supper Movement
Also, you’ll have chance to win a gift card if you post a strawberry photo on Instagram and tag it #FLStrawberry. The contest runs today through Jan. 17, 2016. Winners will be chosen at random during our live #SundaySupper 7 p.m. ET Twitter party on Jan. 17 from Tampa, Fl. Get more details.
Need more Florida winter strawberry inspiration? Check out the website of Strawberry Sue, also known as Florida Strawberry spokeswoman Sue Harrell, for tips and recipes.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sundays! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by Florida Strawberry in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are those of the writer.
Janet K. Keeler
Latest posts by Janet K. Keeler (see all)
- Baked Puerto Rican Meat Pies and More Pie Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement - February 28, 2016
- Strawberry Almond Milk by Sunday Supper Movement - February 15, 2016