On Mother’s Day we celebrate that special woman (or women) in our lives. And at Sunday Supper, that means we mark the day with food. Our tastemakers have developed creative culinary ways to honor Mom, toasting her with fruity drinks and tempting her with luscious desserts.
And there’s no shortage of appetizers and main dish offerings to make Mom feel like a queen. (Promise you’ll take a long walk with her before dinner.)
You can bet tonight’s weekly Twitter chat will be full of praise for Mom and what she taught us (or maybe didn’t) about cooking. Bring a tissue because when we talk about the wonderful things she’s done for us, we often get teary. The chat will be hosted by Camilla Man of Culinary_Cam.
There’s still time to throw together a memorable pancake breakfast, especially if you get creative with the toppings. Here are five ways to give everyday pancakes a special finish.
1. Nutella and Whipped Cream. Spread the chocolate-hazelnut topping on warm pancakes and garnish with freshly whipped cream. Sprinkle with chopped toasted nuts.
2. Sweet and Salty. Lay two pieces of crisp bacon across pancakes and drizzle with real maple syrup.
3. Fruit and Honey. Add lemon zest to a bowl of sliced strawberries and top pancakes with the mixture. Rather than syrup, sweeten with streams of honey. (Or as an alternative to honey, mix sour cream with brown sugar and spoon over strawberries.)
4. Cherries, Chocolate and Cream. Mix canned cherry pie filling with dark chocolate chips. Dollop onto pancakes and top with whipped cream.
5. Granola and Yogurt. Spread vanilla Greek yogurt on pancakes and top with nutty granola.
After breakfast, take a look at this week’s recipes. We know you’ll find something delicious to make for Mom.
Starters and Salads
- Cheese Bread by Ninja Baker
- Classic Basil Pesto Crostini by Cooking Chat
- Fennel and Radish Citrus Salad by Tasting Page
- Healthy Ham Salad Minis by Momma’s Meals
- Pate with Spiced Pears by The Joyful Foodie
- Pesto Pasta Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Super Sunny Dutch Oven Sourdough by What Smells So Good?
- Ginger Shandy by Nosh My Way
- La Vie en Rose by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Momma’s Mimosa by Our Good Life
- Blackberry Almond Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by The Crumby Cupcake
- Broccoli and Cheddar Frittata with Roasted Tomatoes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Coriander Salmon with Capered Green Beans by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Chicken Tajine with Prunes and Almonds by The Petit Gourmet
- Dutch Baby Pancake by Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs and Ramps in Puff Pastry by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mimosa Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mushroom and Manchego Filled Crepes by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Chicken and Pepper Rice with Fried Egg by Family Foodie
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Arugula Salad by Casa de Crews
- Smoked Salmon & Shaved Asparagus Gruyere Quiche with a Pine Nut Crust by Simply Healthy Family
Treats and Sweets
- Angel Food Cake in a Jar by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Black Cow Cupcakes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Breakfast Cake by Noshing With The Nolands
- Bourbon Peach Frozen Yogurt by Food Lust People Love
- Cherry Cheesecake Pastry Braid by The Redhead Baker
- Chinese Baked Tapioca Pudding by Gotta Get Baked
- Crustless Creamy Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Deluxe Salted Caramel Turtle Sundae by The Weekend Gourmet
- Gluten Free Strawberries and Cream Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon Blackberry Mini Tarts by Life Tastes Good
- Lemon Brownies by Pies and Plots
- Lemon Sunshine Cake Pop Bouquet by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lightened Peach Cheesecake by Food Done Light
- Mini Chocolate Marshmallow Bombe Soufflé by Nik Snacks
- Mini Lemon Almond Cupcakes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Nutella Cheesecake Shooters by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pavlova by The Freshman Cook
- Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Raspberry Mascarpone Mini Tarts by Palatable Pastime
- Rose Apple Custard Tart by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Soft-Baked Lemon Coconut Cookies by One Sweet Mess
- Steamed Strawberry Coconut Poke Cake with Whipped Coconut Cream by Wallflour Girl
- Triple Chocolate Layer Cake by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Janet K. Keeler
Latest posts by Janet K. Keeler (see all)
- Baked Puerto Rican Meat Pies and More Pie Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement - February 28, 2016
- Strawberry Almond Milk by Sunday Supper Movement - February 15, 2016