Wine and cheese are natural companions and much has been written about how to pair them to get maximum flavor from both. Today’s post focuses on simple tips for wine cheese pairings when the cheese is on top of pizza.
Sunday Supper partnered with Gallo Family Vineyards this week to celebrate National Pizza Month. The Sunday Supper tastemakers have matched many varietals with clever pizza toppings ideas. There are lots of ingredients to consider when pairing wine with pizza, including cured meats, vegetables, tomato sauce and even olives, pineapple and hot peppers.
The most common cheese is mozzarella, but there are others that find their way on to pizza. We suggest you consider matching the wine with the cheese since that is a flavor driver on the bubbly dough. Here are some suggestions:
Mozzarella. For any basic pizza that is topped with mozzarella, offer diners Sauvignon Blanc. This wine also goes well with tomato sauce, so bring on the tradition.
Ricotta. Fresh, fruity Pinot Grigio pairs well with fresh cheeses such as ricotta. Grilled chicken or shrimp would be a good addition to this pizza and pair nicely with this wine, too.
Feta. Think Hearty Burgundy if you are toying with the idea of a Greek pizza, especially if you top it with chopped gyro meat.
Provolone. The vanilla and oak tones of Chardonnay plays nicely with salty provolone. If the toppings include seafood or chicken, the match works even better.
Blue. Consider ice-cold Riesling if you are making a sweet-savory pizza of blue cheese and apples.
We know you’ll find something that tickles your taste buds among the 20 Sunday Supper recipes that celebrate pizza and wine. Join us at 7 p.m. ET tonight for a National Pizza Month celebration with wine in mind. We will chat live on Twitter and you can join the dish by following the hashtag #SundaySuppper. Here are this week’s tempting recipes and their wine partners:
- Apple Pie Pizza by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Pizza by Desserts Required
- Peach Maple Mascarpone Dessert Pizza by Whole Food | Real Families
- Apricot Chicken Brie Flatbread Pizza by Feed Me, Seymour
- Autumn Sausage & Sweet Potato Pizza by The Crumby Cupcake
- Balsamic Steak and Arugula Pizza by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Chicken Parmesan Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Chorizo and Roasted Pepper Pizza with Arugula by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Flammkuchen by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Fig + Prosciutto Pizza by An Appealing Plan
- Jalapeño Popper White Pizza by Food Done Light
- Meat Lover’s Skillet Pizza by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Pasta Pizza Pie by Alida’s Kitchen
- Pizza Bagels by Recipe for Perfection
- Portuguese Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Roasted Butternut Squash, Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Pesto Pizza by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Corn Pizza by Brunch with Joy
- Sauerkraut and Meatball Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Sausage and Ricotta Naan Pizza by Casa de Crews
- Thai Chicken Pizza by The Redhead Baker
Also Featured: Simple Tips for Wine Cheese Pairings plus Pizza Recipes
Need more ideas for celebrating National Pizza Month? Check out Gallo Family Vineyards’ blog.
More on Gallo Family Vineyards: Follow them on social media to keep up the latest on their happenings and wines. Here are quick links to GFV’s profiles: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. The Gallo Family Vineyards website has lots of information on their wines plus wine & food pairings and a handy store locator.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards
Janet K. Keeler
Latest posts by Janet K. Keeler (see all)
- Baked Puerto Rican Meat Pies and More Pie Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement - February 28, 2016
- Strawberry Almond Milk by Sunday Supper Movement - February 15, 2016