There are certain side dishes that always appear alongside a grilled steak or a juicy slice of beef roast, such as a baked potato or sautéed mushrooms. This week, as Sunday Supper partners with The Beef Checkoff for healthy beef dinners, we offer 5 quick side dishes for beef with a slight twist.
Flashy Sautéed Mushrooms. Clean and trim a variety of wild mushrooms and sauté them in a mixture of butter and olive oil. Season with salt and finely chopped fresh rosemary. Splash with white wine and top with toasted chopped pecans just before serving.
Baked Sweet Potato. Switch up the usual baker with a fall-centric sweet potato. When potato is done, split and fluff flesh then add whipped ricotta cheese that’s been mixed with cinnamon and honey. Top with dried cranberries.
Deconstructed Caesar Salad. The Romaine lettuce salad is a classic pairing with steak. Rather than tear the leaves, serve whole spears dotted with dressing and topped with slightly crushed croutons. This is knife-and-fork salad … or the spears can be eaten by hand.
Broiled Tomatoes. Halve the tomatoes and place cut side up on a baking dish. Top with a mixture of bread crumbs, chopped fresh parsley and minced garlic. Broil for 3 or 4 minutes, watching carefully. Top with a dollop of chunky blue cheese dressing.
Minty Peas and Caramelized Shallots. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add whole peeled shallots. (Look for small ones.) Sprinkle with a bit of sugar. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Heat frozen peas, stir in shallots, plus a handful of chopped mint. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice over all before serving.
These side dishes will be elegant and tasty alongside your next grilled steak or roast beef.
The Sunday Supper tastemakers have develop 20 recipes for this week’s special event with The Beef Checkoff. Join us for the #SundaySupper live Twitter chat at 7 p.m. ET tonight. We will be sharing ideas for cooking with beef. Here are today’s recipes:
Healthy Plates with Beef
- Beef and Green Beans over Orange Rice by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Short Ribs with Polenta and Sautéed Greens by Whole Food | Real Families
- Beer Braised Beef Brisket by Life Tastes Good
- Beef Stifado by Recipe for Perfection
- Classic Pot Roast with Lemon and Rosemary by MealDiva
- Easy Stovetop Marsala Roast Beef by Family Foodie
- Filet Mignon with Cherry Sauce by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Garlic & Herb Prime Rib with Roasted Potatoes & Beets by Momma’s Meals
- Rosemary Garlic Brisket by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sauerbraten by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Shank Cut Osso Buco by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Beef Black Bean Chili by Alida’s Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Caribbean Beef Stew by Food Done Light
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas by Daily Dish Recipes
- Spoon Roast with Mushrooms and Farro by Cooking Chat
- Szegediner Gulasch (German Sauerkraut Beef Goulash) by Magnolia Days
- Thai Red Curry with Beef and Butternut Squash by kimchi MOM
- Vietnamese Style Beef Stew by I’m Not the Nanny
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by The Beef Checkoff in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are those of individual bloggers.