Spring is in the air! In the spring we love to take advantage of all the beautiful fresh produce. Since April is National Florida Tomato Month, this week we’re talking all about fresh tomatoes! This acidic veggie is perfect for brightening up all your spring dishes. This week the tastemakers are making delicious Sunday Supper recipes using fresh tomatoes.
While canned tomatoes are available year round, we love to feature fresh tomatoes in our Sunday Supper recipes. Now that tomato season is in full swing we are taking advantage! Did you know that Florida grows 50% of the tomatoes that feed the United States? Yes! They are the second largest supplier of tomatoes in the country.
Bright juicy tomatoes create flavorful and refreshing dishes. They’re perfect for grilling, braising, eating raw, even adding a savory note to a dessert. When working with fresh tomatoes the possibilities are endless! Not only are recipes using fresh tomatoes delicious, they’re also packed with nutritional benefits.
Health Benefits of Fresh Tomatoes
- Lycopene is an extremely powerful antioxidant. It is also found almost exclusively in tomatoes!
- Fresh tomatoes are a low calorie snack. There are only 26 calories in a cup of fresh tomatoes!
- Tomatoes provide 17% of your daily value of vitamin C.
- They satisfy 10% of your daily potassium needs. Potassium helps create healthy skin and strong bones.
- Tomatoes are 95% water. Meaning, not only do they taste great, but they help to hydrate. Hydration is especially important as the weather gets warmer.
If you can’t wait for Sunday to try recipes using fresh tomatoes try a fresh tomato tart, heirloom tomato and burrata salad, or some baked zucchini with spicy tomatoes. Do you know why the tomato blushed? Because it saw the salad dressing! Want even more foodie fun? Be sure to join in the twitter chat Sunday April 2nd at 7pmEST. The tastemakers will be sharing everything from cheesy caprese pesto chicken to homemade salsa! You don’t want to miss all the recipes using fresh tomatoes!
Sunday Supper Recipes Using Fresh Tomatoes
- Caprese Chicken with Bacon by Family Around The Table
- Cheesy Caprese Pesto Chicken and Quinoa Casserole by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes by Life Tastes Good
- Grilled Chicken and Pasta with Grated Tomato Sauce by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bronzed Tomato Spinach Cheddar Panini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ground Beef Curry by Wholistic Woman
- Lamb and Fresh Tomato Curry by Sunday Supper Movement
- One Pan Pork Chop Dinner with Tomatoes by Simple and Savory
- Tuna and Tomato Bento by Ninja Baker
Pizza, Pies, and Pastas
- Angel Hair Pomodoro by Healing Tomato
- Heirloom Tomato Tart by Authentically Candace
- Pressure Canned Homegrown Tomato Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Savory Tomato Pie with Pre-Made Crust by The Foodie Affair
- Three Cheese Tomato Basil Pie by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tomato and Caramelized Onions Galette by Brunch-n-Bites
- Tuscan Pasta with White Beans and Tomatoes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Bacon Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms by Crazed Mom
- Bloody Mary Mix by Our Good Life
- Bruschetta di Pomodoro by The Freshman Cook
- Caprese Garlic Bread with Arugula Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Slow Roasted Tomatoes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Tomato Cauliflower Rice by Family Foodie
- Tomato Tulips for a Veggie Platter by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Thumbprint Cookies with Green Tomato Strawberry Jalapeno Jam by Soulfully Made
- How to Make Homemade Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- IPA (India Pale Ale) Green Tomato Pickles by Gourmet Everyday
- Italian Nachos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Marinated Cherry Tomatoes with Cottage Cheese by Cricket’s Confections
- Tomatoes Stuffed with Apple-Walnut Salad Filling by Asian In America
- Tropical Fruit Salsa by Pies and Plots
Soups and Salads
- 10 Minute Greek Inspired Couscous Salad by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Burrata Caprese Salad with Balsamic Pearls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Tomato and Preserved Lemon Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Cupboard Tomato Mozzarella Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Fresh Tomato and Couscous Salad by Basic N Delicious
- Fried Green Tomato BLT Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Rustic Dill Tomato Soup by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Summer Tomato and Bread Soup by Monica’s Table
- Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Pimento Grilled Cheese by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
And sign up for our newsletter to get great Sunday Supper recipes delivered right to your inbox every Thursday!