Spanish tapas are small plates of food that are served between meals and often accompanied by wine or other types of alcohol. The word “tapas” is derived from the Spanish verb tapar meaning “to cover.” This week the #SundaySupper Tastemakers are taking a culinary journey to Spain with classic and contemporary Spanish Tapas Recipes inspired by Tapa Toro in Orlando, FL.
Tapas originated in Spain, where according to legend, during an official visit to Cádiz, King Alfonso XIII asked for a glass of Jerez. Just as the king’s wine was being served, a gust of wind threw open the window! To avoid wind-blown sand settling in the king’s glass, the innkeeper covered the glass with a slice of ham. When the king asked why he did so, the innkeeper replied, “That is a “tapa” to keep the sand out of the wine.” The king was amused by this idea and ate the tapa with his wine, and even ordered another glass “with a cover.” As expected, the royal members traveling with the king asked for the same, and this is how the tradition of Spanish tapas was born.
However, as often is the case, reality is far different from the legend. Before the 19th century, European roads were in bad condition. Some were originally old Roman roads or trails dating from the Middle Ages. Traveling was slow and exhausting and it wasn’t long before inns, or bodegas as they were called, went up along the roads to offer meals, rooms and fresh horses to weary travelers. Since few innkeepers could write and few travelers could read, inns offered their guests a sample of the dishes available on a “tapa” (the word for pot cover in Spanish). In fact, a “tapa” was, and still is, a small portion or sample of any kind of Spanish cuisine.
The #SundaySupper Tastemakers have developed a variety of Spanish Tapas Recipes to share with you this weekend. Be sure to come back on Sunday for the complete recipes featuring Champiñones al Ajillo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla, Gambas al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp) by Pook’s Pantry, and White Wine Marinated Steak with Blue Cheese by Caroline’s Cooking, just to name a few of the more than 30 Spanish Tapas Recipes we are excited to bring to our virtual table!
Don’t miss all the fun while we are LIVE! in Orlando, Florida at 7 p.m. ET Sunday for our weekly Twitter chat! Until then, check out the menu of Spanish Tapas Recipes our #SundaySupper Tastemakers are bringing to the table and leave a comment letting us know what you will bring too.
Para Empezar, Las Tapas (Appetizers/tapas) –
- Apple, Chorizo, and Manchego Crostini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Champiñones al Ajillo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chorizo and Sweet Potato Spanish Tortilla Bites by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus & Fennel Marinated Olives by Go Epicurista
- Clams Casino Dip with Bacon by Girl Abroad
- Crab Enchilado Empanadas with Avocado Cream by Gourmet Everyday
- Fried Almonds with Thyme by What The Fork Food Blog
- Gambas al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp) by Pook’s Pantry
- Garlicky Shrimp with Olive Oil by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Gazpacho Cucumber Bites by A Mind Full Mom
- Gildas Picantes – Spicy Anchovy Olive Skewers by Food Lust People Love
- Herbed and Spiced Almonds by Get the Good Stuff!
- Huevos Rellenos de Gambas (Deviled Eggs with Shrimp) by Our Good Life
- How to make Beef Sweet Sour Meatballs with Pineapple for #SundaySupper by Asian In America
- Manchego Cheese & Chorizo Bites with Saffron Alioli by Hardly A Goddess
- Margarita Ceviche by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pinchos Morunos (Spanish Pork Skewers) with Mojo Picon by Curious Cuisiniere
- Roasted Bell Pepper Goat Cheese Bites by She Loves Biscotti
- Roasted Eggplant and Piquillo Pepper Toasts by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Roasted Red Peppers and Anchovies with Bruschetta by The Hungry Goddess
- Seared Scallops with Shredded Manchego and a Bleu Cheese Crumble by The Freshman Cook
- Serrano Ham & Goat Cheese Croquettes by My World Simplified
- Serrano Ham Bites with Melon and Cheese by Palatable Pastime
- Shrimp Romesco Bites by Cooking On The Ranch
- Smoked Sardine Crostini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spanish Garlic Shrimp by Life Tastes Good
- Stuffed Mushrooms by The Chef Next Door
- Tomato Gazpacho With Fried Avocado Bites by Nik Snacks
- Tortillita De Camarones by the healthy fit foodie
- Tortilla Española by Monica’s Table
- Venetian Cicchetti: Italian Tapas by La Bella Vita Cucina
- White Wine Marinated Steak with Blue Cheese by Caroline’s Cooking
- Zanahorias Aliñadas (Spanish Marinated Carrots) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Postres (Desserts) –
- Buñuelos de Viento by Dessert Geek
- Chocolate Orange Macarons by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Chocolate Toasts with Apricots by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Churro Bites with Chocolate Sauce by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Churro Cupcakes by Pies and Plots
- Mini Vanilla Flans by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Dulce de Leche Cheesecakes by The Redhead Baker
Bebidas (Drinks) –
- Tinto de Verano ~ A Sangria alternative by An Appealing Plan
Plus Alcachofas al Ajillo – Garlicky Artichokes – and Spanish Tapas Recipes by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.