It’s Florida strawberry season so I can’t resist adding them to almost everything, sweet or savory! Inspired by a visit to our local strawberry farm, this recipe for Strawberry Basil Goat Cheese Flatbread has become a quick and easy Weekday Supper meal during strawberry season.
This recipe was first published in full on the blog Family Foodie as part of a social media campaign for American Family Insurance. We are pleased to share it with you here for Weekday Supper.
- 4 Naan Flat Breads
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound strawberries, sliced
- 1 head of Butter Lettuce or Sweet Frisee Lettuce, chopped fine
- 2 ounces Goat Cheese, crumbled
- ⅓ cup Walnuts, chopped
- 8 tablespoons Blueberry Vinaigrette
- 4-6 basil leaves cut into small strips
- 1 cup of blueberries
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Top each flatbread with ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese
- Place on pizza pans or pizza stone and bake for 10 minutes
- Remove from the oven and let sit
- Melt butter in large frying pan over medium heat
- Add the onions and let them cook until they are deep golden brown and caramelized
- Season with fresh ground sea salt and pepper
- Add ¼ of the onions on top of each flatbread and spread evenly
- Lay ½ the sliced strawberries on top of the onions
- Place back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes
- Remove from the oven and plate when slightly cooled
- Add ¼ of the lettuce to each flatbread
- Top with remaining strawberries, crumbled goat cheese, walnuts and basil, evenly divided on each flatbread
- Drizzle each flatbread salad with 2 tablespoons of Blueberry Vinaigrette
- Directions for the Blueberry Vinaigrette:
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and process on high for approximately 5 minutes or until smooth.
- Use strainer to remove any of the blueberry bits.
- Add to a glass jar or mason jar.
- Store in refrigerator overnight.
- Shake well before serving.
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
We are partnering with American Family Insurance for the #ChooseDreams initiative. For even more inspiration, follow the Recipes from the Garden #ChooseDreams Pinterest board, or connect with American Family Insurance on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, YouTube, or LinkedIn!