Sunday Supper Tastemakers are sharing our best summer corn recipes this week. We hope you will be all “ears” because it is one very tasty line-up! It’s August and we are in the thick of summer corn season so naturally, we’re busy in the kitchen making summer corn recipes for everyone to enjoy!
In Ohio, summers mean an abundance of fresh summer sweet corn in the fields and on my dinner table. Of course, I always look forward to purchasing local corn from farmers with make-shift stands alongside the highway. Local farmers pick the corn in the morning and sell it in the afternoon. Therefore, it’s the freshest corn you can get aside from grabbing it off the stalk yourself! Fresh sweet corn on the cob is so delicious! Store bought corn is good but the freshest corn is always the sweetest because the sugar hasn’t started to turn to starch yet. Have you ever tasted raw corn on the cob off a freshly picked ear? It’s a-maizing!
6 A-maizing Corn Facts!
- On average, an ear of corn has 800 kernels in 16 rows, however, it will always have an even number of rows on each cob.
- The United States produces almost half of the world’s corn crops.
- Today’s corn is now a completely domesticated plant, so you’re unlikely to find it growing in the wild any longer.
- For each kernel of corn on an ear, you will find an equal number of strands of corn silk! (That’s about 800 strands of silk to pull off when you shuck!)
- Corn is a component in all sorts of non-edible things including fireworks, glue and paint. It’s even used to make plastics!
- With the exception of Antarctica, corn is grown on every continent on this planet!
Join us around our virtual table this Sunday as we share the best summer corn recipes! Because you won’t want to miss any of our delicious recipes made with sweet summer corn. Recipes like Roasted Tomato and Corn Bruschetta from Monica’s Table and Easy Cornmeal Budino with Blueberry Marmellata from Cooking With Carlee will get your taste buds excited! And don’t forget to join #SundaySupper on twitter Sunday 7pmET for our chat. This week we’ll be featuring Summer Corn Recipes! Until then, take a peek at what everyone is bringing to the virtual table below.
I’ll leave you with this corny riddle: What did the baby corn ask the mama corn? (Answer: Where’s “pop” corn!)
- Bacon and Corn Chowder by Latin Meet Lagniappe
- Cajun Baked Shrimp and Corn Dip by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Corn Tomato Tartlets by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Grilled Corn Dip by Helpful Homemade
- Crab & Jalapeno Hush Puppies by Simply Healthy Family
- Grilled Corn Salsa by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Indian Cheese Corn Toast: Popular Vegetarian Recipe by Easy Cooking with Molly
- Roasted Corn and Tomato Bruschetta by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Masa Harina Pancakes by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Corn Ravioli Caprese Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Griled Corn and Avocado Salad by Garden Matter
- Grilled Tri Tip and Roasted Corn Salad by The Freshman Cook
- Healthy Corn, Edamame & Avocado Salad by Food Done Light
- Summer Vegetable Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Black Bean Corn Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cornbread Waffles with Pulled Pork by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Fresh Corn Fettuccine by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Fresh Corn Polenta with Summer Vegetables by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pasta with Creamy Corn Sauce and Summer Vegetables by Delaware Girl Eats
- Polenta Stuffed Peppers by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Shrimp Corn Chowder by Feeding Big and More
- A-maize-ing Maple Cornbread by Family Around The Table
- Blueberry and Corn Skillet Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Corn Pudding by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Corn Pudding with Jalapenos and Chiles by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Addictive Corn by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Galey iyo Qumbo (Somali Corn in Coconut Sauce) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Honey Cornbread Muffins by Life Tastes Good
- Mealie Bread (South African Sweetcorn Bread) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Jalapeno Popper Cornbread Muffins by The Crumby Cupcake
- Peruvian Grilled Street Corn by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Corn with Bacon by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Skillet Fried Corn by New South Charm
- Skillet Jalapeno Cornbread by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Blackberry Cornbread Buckle by Pies and Plots
- Brazilian Corn Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Easy Cornmeal Budino with Blueberry Marmellata by Cooking With Carlee
- Mais Con Hielo-Corn on Ice by Asian In America
- Margarita Popcorn by The Redhead Baker
- Sweet Corn Ice Cream by Baking Sense
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.