May is National Salad Month! For many of us, May brings with it warm weather and the promise of summer, making it the perfect time of the year to enjoy refreshing salads. This week, our tastemakers are here with their very best Sunday Supper summer dinner salad recipes! These Sunday Supper recipes are sure to inspire you to celebrate National Salad Month, too!
When you think of a salad, you might imagine leafy greens tossed in a dressing with vegetables like cucumbers, tomatoes and onions; but you can mix it up with protein, grains, and fruit. There are plenty of fresh, in-season ingredients to add! If you’re not sure where to start, look no further than our Sunday Supper summer dinner salad recipes.
Start with a base for your salad. There are a variety of different leafy greens to choose from, including kale, spinach, red and green leaf lettuces, romaine and iceberg. Consider whether or not you want to add any protein; chicken is a tasty and traditional choice, but steak or seafood can also be used! This grilled lettuce and steak salad is a great example, as is our easy chicken and bacon salad. With seafood, you may want to use citrus in your salad, such as oranges, mandarins, lemons or limes. If you want to go vegetarian with your dinner salad, try adding hard-boiled eggs or cheese for protein!
Vegetables are key to any salad, and luckily, May is ripe with in-season produce such as asparagus, radishes, peas, mushrooms, and more. Fruits make great additions, too! Add strawberry and rhubarb to your salad with a thick balsamic dressing if you’re wanting something sweet. And don’t forget the nuts: pecans, almonds, walnuts and even peanuts make great choices to go along with both sweet and savory dinner salads!
Arguably the best part about our Sunday Supper summer dinner salad recipes is that they are easy and quick to prepare. If you’re in need of a quick dinner, salads are the ideal choice!
Here are some tips for preparing a salad and keeping it fresh for later…
Preparing your Sunday Supper Summer Dinner Salad Recipes Ahead of Time
- Use a salad spinner to dry off any moisture left over on your lettuce after cutting it to keep it from losing its crispness, then cover the bowl with a paper towel in the fridge.
- Cut and portion your vegetables and other toppings to save you time.
- Use mason jars to portion our your salads in a fun and creative way that won’t make your salads soggy!
- Only add your seasoning when you plan on eating your salad; pre-salted lettuce will wilt.
Hungry for more? “Lettuce” help you with that! Join us for our twitter chat this Sunday, May 7th, at 7PM EST when we’ll be talking all about our Sunday Supper recipes and summer dinner salads! And don’t forget: the answer is “a hoarse radish”!
Sunday Supper Summer Dinner Salad Recipes
Brilliant Beef Salads
- Grilled Greek Steak Cobb with Greek Goddess Dressing by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Grilled Keilbasa and Warm Mustard Viniagrette Salad by Our Good Life
- Healthy Steak Salad by Cricket’s Confections
- Roasted Tomato Vinaigrette Beef Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Southwestern Steak Salad by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Choice Chicken Salads
- BBQ Chicken Salad by Palatable Pastime
- BBQ Chicken Avocado Hemp Seed Salad by Family Foodie
- Caribbean Chicken Quinoa Salad by My Life Cookbook
- Chicken Fried Picnic Salad by The Freshman Cook
- Chicken Salad with Orange and Fennel by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chrissy’s Cobb Salad by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Grilled Panzanella Salad with Chicken Sausage by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Rainbow Greek Chicken Salad by Jersey Girl Cooks
Superb Seafood Salads
- Beer Steamed Shrimp Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Crab Salad with Chili, Tomato and Avocado by Monica’s Table
- French Lentil Salad Nicoise-Style with Seared Tuna by Caroline’s Cooking
- Red Camargue and Wild Rice Salad with Tuna by Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Cod and Edamame Salad by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Seared Ahi Tuna Salad with Key Lime-Dijon Vinaigrette by Gourmet Everyday
- Shrimp & Orange Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Vibrant Veggie Salads
- Chopped Greek Salad by Soulfully Made
- Farmers Market Quinoa Salad by And She Cooks
- Iron Chef Morimoto Inspired Salad by NinjaBaker.com
- Kale Guacamole Salad by Pies and Plots
- Kale Superfoods Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Loaded Chopped Salad by Simple and Savory
- Muffuletta Pasta Salad by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.