Have you ever been to a Chili Cook-Off? Better yet, have you ever entered a Chili Cook-Off!? In some parts of the U.S., they are huge social events garnering a reputation for secret recipes, teams with matching uniforms, and towers of tiny bowls and spoons. Everybody and their mother thinks that their recipe is the best.
Now, I’ve had the privilege of taking part in a few Chili Cook-Offs in my day, and I think that they’re a blast! I love that each station has a unique pot of chili. From red to white…from ground beef to shredded beef to pork to chicken to turkey to a full-on bean assault…from comfortably mild to brow-beading, lip-puffing spicy! And don’t even get me started on the toppings (yes, they are equally as important as what’s inside).
Chili Cook-Offs range from informal gatherings for the purpose of socializing and breaking bread together to full-scale organized events with judging panels and huge prizes for the winners. Today, I’m so excited to announce that this Sunday, the Sunday Supper crew is holding it’s very own Chili Cook-Off!
Ours will fall somewhere between informal social gathering and highly-organized with judging and prizes. Our first goal is always to spend time together around the family table. But you’ve got to know that within every family, there’s a competetive streak! We will be gathering all of our chili creations this week and putting them side-by-side for YOU to vote on. You will be the judge of our cook-off!
How should you vote? With your eyes…your heart…your mind…your stomach – whatever suits your fancy (remember we’re part social gathering). Choose the one that looks the best, or the one that your best friend made, or the one that has a tongue-tingling ingredient list, or maybe the one that just all-around makes your tummy rumble. The choice is yours!
And just to make things interesting, there will be prizes involved. The dish with the most votes at the end of the voting period will get one ticket to the 2014 Food and Wine Conference, being held once again in sunny Orlando, Florida this July + a $25 gift card. If the person with the most votes is unable to attend, then they will still get to keep the gift card, but the ticket will be passed on to the person with the next highest votes.
Here’s that sneak peek of what’s on our Chili Cook-Off Menu this Sunday…
Beef and Bison Chilis
- Bison & Black Bean Chili from It’s Yummi!
- Cincinnati Chili from Savvy Eats
- Easy Beef Bean Chili from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Chili con Carne from Manu’s Menu
- Gesundheit Chili from Magnolia Days
- Hellfire Chili from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Hoisin Beef Chili from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Moroccan Harissa Spiked Chili from MarocMama
- Short Rib Chili from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Chili from Hip Foodie Mom
- Apple and Red Ale Pulled Pork Chili from Curious Cuisiniere
- Pineapple Pork Chili from Melanie Makes
- Roast Adobo Pork and Vegetable Packed Chili from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
Chicken, Duck, and Turkey Chilis
- Asian Five Spice Duck Chili from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Buffalo Turkey Chili from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken and Bell Pepper Chili from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Meatball Chipotle Chili from Soni’s Food
- Gluten Free Turkey Chili from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Kickin’ Chicken Chili from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Low Calorie Turkey Chili from Basic N Delicious
- Olé Mole Turkey Chili from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Quick & Easy Chipotle Turkey Chili from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Shockingly Delicious Chili Mole with Red Beans and Raisins from Shockingly Delicious
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili from Family Foodie
- Southwestern Chicken Chili from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Thai Chicken Chili from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- White Chicken Chili from The Foodie Army Wife
Mixed (meat combo)
- Best Damn Chili Ever from Noshing With The Nolands
- Chili con Tres Carne from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Daddy’s Favorite Chili from Momma’s Meals
- Harlem Meatloaf Chili from Neighborfood
- Leslie’s Best Chili from La Cocina de Leslie
Fish and Seafood Chilis
- Scrumptious Seafood Chili from A Kitchen Hoor
- 3 Bean Sunday Chili from An Appealing Plan
- Buffalo Chickpea Chili from Alida’s Kitchen
- Easy Vegetarian Chili with Raisins and Cashews from Delaware Girl Eats
- New Orleans Style Vegetarian Chili from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Vegan Slow Cooker Chili from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Chicken Chili Cheese Fries from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chili Cornbread Cupcakes from In The Kitchen With KP
- Chili Topped Tater Tots from Ruffles & Truffles
- Spicy Chili Mac from girlichef
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.