This simple yet light Vegetable Mac N Cheese Casserole recipe will feed the pickiest of eaters. Plenty of cheese, a few vegetables, and it’s ready in 30 minutes! This recipe was first published in full on the blog Momma’s Meals. We are pleased to share it with you here for Weekday Supper.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 6 ounces vegetable tricolored pasta (any pasta works)
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (I use Cabot's block cheese and shred it)
- 2 cups reduced fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F wrap the sweet potato in tinfoil and poke it a few times with a fork.
- Bake for 30 min. Let cool. Scoop the flesh and add to a blender. Splash a little of the milk into the blender and purée until smooth. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to the packaged directions. Add the peas into the boiling water the last minute or two.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once the butter is almost melted add the flour and whisk turning it into a thick chunks.
- Add one cup of milk and start whisking. Continue to whisk, working all of the flour chunks. Add the rest of the milk and turn the heat to high. Keep whisking and let the sauce thicken. This may take a few minutes.
- Add in the puréed potato stirring to combine a minute or two.
- Turn the heat off and slowly add the cheddar cheese whisking until the cheese is fully melted.
- Drain pasta and peas and add all of the sauce reserving about a ½ cup for a later use.
- Add to a greased 13x9in baking dish and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top. Bake for 10 more minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes and enjoy!
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.