Spring is in the air and for some odd reason, I always think of coconut. I think it may date back to my childhood and seeing Easter baskets with coconut lining the goodies.
It is very difficult for me to pass on tasting a coconut cookie and I try to create interesting combinations because, let’s face it, we don’t want just one kind, right?
My 11-year-old and I spent a lot of time in the grocery store one day tasting what was sold in bulk. There were two different banana chips, sweetened and unsweetened. We tried both and had a tough time getting the unsweetened one down. Kind of made the decision easy in terms of which chip to choose for our cookies.
I realized that there was something missing when using only banana chips and coconut flakes in the cookies. Limes perk up tropical drinks so I thought they would be able to work their magic here, too.
Banana Lime Coconut Macaroons work very nicely when you want something a bit different. I learned the hard way that using the zest of a whole lime per batch is way too much. A pinch gives a lovely and subtle flavor, just enough to make you want to take a tropical vacation … even if it is just to the cookie jar.
- 2 cups (160 grams) desiccated coconut
- ½ cup (113 grams) sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites
- pinch of lime zest
- 3 ounces (87 grams) sweetened banana chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the coconut, sugar and salt into a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process until smooth. Add the egg white and process until the mixture is well blended.
- Add the lime zest and banana chips. Pulse on/off until the banana chips are broken into small pieces.
- Use a small cookie dough scoop (2 teaspoons) to scoop the dough onto the baking pan. Shape the mounds into balls.
- Bake at 350°F or 180°C for 16-18 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.