This sweet and spicy vegetarian appetizer is a real crowd pleaser. Bang Bang Cauliflower Bites are a unique, meat-free version of the popular Bang Bang Shrimp at Bonefish Grill. To keep them on the healthy side these bites are baked, not fried. This is an easy football food recipe as well as perfect for holiday parties. You’ll want to add this recipe to all of your party menus!
Bang Bang Cauliflower Bites – a great meat free appetizer!
Is cauliflower the most versatile, low-carb vegetable ever created? I’m gonna go with ‘yes.’ It’s not just for roasting anymore (although I plan to try this Tomato Roasted Cauliflower Tagine ASAP.) It’s also extremely popular as a replacement for rice. A quick search reveals 28 million cauliflower rice recipes. Here are my personal recommendations:
- Chipotle Cauliflower Rice
- Greek Style Cauliflower Rice Salad
- Homemade Chicken Soup with Cauliflower Rice
Cauliflower can also replace mashed potatoes, be made into tortillas, pizza crust, ‘tater tots and even steaks. It’s mild flavor makes it adaptable to a wide range of dishes. You can find cauliflower dressed up in popular sauces creating meatless versions of General Tso’s “chicken”, Buffalo “wings” and these Bang Bang Cauliflower Bites.
Don’t you wish humans were that flexible?
Bang bang cauliflower is dipped in a savory batter. Then baked until it’s texture softens. To keep this appetizer low carb, make sure you use a low carb flour in the batter. They taste best slightly warmer than room temperature.
Another great thing about this recipe is how quick it is to make. I cut my florets pretty small so I had these Bang Bang Cauliflower Bites on the table in about 15 minutes. If your child likes cauliflower, this would be a great after school snack idea. Just adjust the hot sauce to suit their palate.
And speaking of that delectable sauce. The sweetness of the chili sauce is the perfect foil for the heat of the sriracha and tang of greek yogurt. The only question is to drizzle? Or to dip?
Here’s photographic evidence of my personal preference. A drizzle isn’t quite enough for me. But there’s no wrong answer. Just enjoy.
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
Sign up for our newsletter to get FREE Sunday Supper recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup flour I used brown rice flour but I have seen similar recipes where regular all purpose flour was used
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup milk of choice; I used almond milk
- Stir together the ingredients for the Bang Bang sauce in a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 450 F and spray a baking sheet with oil or cooking spray.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets. The smaller they are, the faster they will cook and softer they will get.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Toss the cauliflower in the batter until thoroughly coated.
- Arrange the cauliflower on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until slightly softer than you want them.
- Remove from the oven and gently flip the cauliflower. Return to the oven for another 5 - 10 minutes, or until golden brown and tender.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a bowl, pour over the Bang Bang Sauce (you can reserve some for dipping, if desired) and gently toss to coat.
- Recipe Source: Cupcakes and Kale Chips Bang Bang Cauliflower Bites
Creative Cauliflower Recipes #SundaySupper
Creative Cauliflower Starters and Sides
- Bang Bang Califlower Bites by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cauliflower Bacon Gratin by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- German Cauliflower Salad by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Loaded Smashed Cauliflower Bites by My Life Cookbook
- Spicy Roasted Bacon Tomato Cauliflower by Food Lust People Love
- Vegetarian Nachos by Simple and Savory
Make My Cauliflower a Main Dish
- Cheesy Cauliflower Soup by Hardly A Goddess
- Low-Carb Cauliflower Rice Pilaf with Ground Beef & Cabbage by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Oven Baked Honey Soy Sesame Cauliflower by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Roasted Cauliflower and Vegetable Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Cauliflower Steak with Salsa Verde by Caroline’s Cooking
- Salmon with Creamy Cauliflower Farro by Cooking Chat
- Shrimp Stir Fry with Cauli Rice by Our Good Life
- Spicy Cauliflower Tacos by Pies and Plots