As the election grows closer and closer, it seems politics is on everyone’s mind. Once fun news-feeds are filled with political debates. This election is important, of course, but here at Sunday Supper we think it’s time to focus on something on which we can all agree, like National Pizza Month! For this reason, the #SundaySupper Tastemakers have risen to the occasion and created our Best Pizza Recipes.
Gerry Durnell, the late publisher of Pizza Today magazine, started National Pizza Month in 1984. As a result, Americans have been using the month of October to celebrate their love of pizza, and who doesn’t love a good pizza? I, for one, am grateful to have a whole month to praise one of the most universally loved foods! Thin New York crust or a thick Chicago style deep dish, there’s truly a pizza for everyone.
Top Ten Pizza Facts:
- About 3 million pizzas are delivered in the U.S each year.
- On average 1 in 8 Americans eat pizza everyday.
- The modern pizza came from Naples, Italy.
- In the U.S, pepperoni is the most popular topping, making up 36% of pizzas.
- America’s first pizza place, Lombardi’s, opened in Manhattan in 1905.
- Pizza wasn’t sold by the slice until 1933, when Patsy’s Pizzeria in NYC started the trend.
- The first Chicago style deep dish pizza wasn’t even invented until 1943.
- In 2014 food scientists determined mozzarella is the best cheese for pizza making.
- An authentic Neapolitan pizza is made with San Marzano tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella.
- The world’s largest pizza, made in Rome, was 131 feet in diameter and was gluten free.
Now that you are filled with all of these great pizza facts, be sure to check out the list below for the #SundaySupper Tastemaker’s best pizza recipes to fill your belly with deliciousness. We’ve got everything from traditional pizzas to dessert pies, and some pizza inspired sandwiches and salads. Additionally, be sure to join us on Twitter this Sunday, October 23, at 7pmET where we’ll be talking all things pizza and sharing our best pizza recipes.
Best Pizza Recipes
- Cauliflower Crust Pizza by Monica’s Table
- Cool Veggie and Ranch Pizza Appetizer by Positively Stacey
- Pepperoni Cheese Pizza Sliders by Family Around the Table
- Pizza Beef Wontons by Asian in America
- Pizza Potato Skins by Casa de Crews
- Cinnamon Roll Pizza by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Home Canned Pizza Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Caramel Apple Dessert Pizza by The Foodie Affair
- Cheesecake Pizza by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Macaroon Pizza by Pies and Plots
- Fresh Fruit Pizza by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon Jam, Pear and Butternut Squash Pizza by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bagel Pizzas by And She Cooks
- BBQ Bacon Mango Pizza by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Candy Corn Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Chicago Deep Dish Pizza by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Chicken Pesto Calzone by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chicken Pot Pie French Bread Pizza by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Vegetable Pizza (Low-Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Copycat UNO’s Pizza by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Deep Dish Fondue Pizza by Momma’s Meals
- Deluxe Imo’s Pizza Lasagna Rolls by Crazed Mom
- Easy French Bread Pizza by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Everything Pizza Tartin by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fall Veggie Pizza by The Culinary Compass
- Gluten Free Curried Pumpkin Chicken Pizza by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Pepperoni and Sausage Pizza Wraps by Food Lust People Love
- Hawaiian Pizza Salad by Cricket’s Confections
- Homemade Pan Pizza by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lahmacun (Turkish Pizza) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Lunchtime Pizza Muffins by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Meatball Sub Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Mexican Pizza by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mexican-Style Corn Tortilla Pizzas by Home Sweet Homestead
- Mom’s Family Style Cavatini by Powered by BLING
- Onion Tart by Wholistic Woman
- Philly Cheesesteak Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Pizza Pot Pies by Brunch-n-Bites
- Pizza Steak Hoagie by The Freshman Cook
- Pizza Toscana by Cooking with Carlee
- Roasted Garlic and Spinach Pizza with Balsamic Onions by Helpful Homemade
- Rustic Bacon & Citrus Pizza by Gourmet Everyday
- Sausage and Peppers Pizza by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sausage Arugula Pizza by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Grilled Pizza by Our Good Life
- Spinach and Feta Stuffed Pizza Bread by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Supreme Breakfast Pizza by The Crumby Cupcake
- Taco Dip Pizza by Hardly a Goddess
- Tandoori Chicken Pizza with Fresh Basil and Mozzarella by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- The Mac Pizza by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Vegan Margherita Pizza by Simple and Savory
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.