Every Halloween party needs some fun Halloween finger foods, but that doesn’t have to mean you are tied to the kitchen for hours making them or need loads of ingredients. These chocolate pretzel spiders have only four ingredients, don’t take long to make and are a tasty sweet-salty mix.
I have to admit I am not one of those people who goes all out for Halloween, but I have become a bit more into it now my eldest son can appreciate it a bit more. I still have to watch that he doesn’t get too spooked by it all, but it’s nice to get him involved in making decorations, crafts and fun Halloween finger foods.
I’m less of a sweet tooth and tend to embrace the pumpkin side a bit more with things like pumpkin arancini. My son has developed a taste for chocolate and so things like chocolate pumpkin pastry twists were a hit with everyone.
Chocolate Pretzel Spiders Recipe Tips
These chocolate pretzel spiders are not only cute and tasty, they are perfect for getting kids involved too. True, it can be tricky to break the pretzels in the right place for younger kids, but once they get help with that, they can do most of the rest.
- Break a few pretzels as shown to make the legs
- Place whole pretzels on a lined baking sheet
- Fill the holes in the pretzels with chocolate as shown
- Top each chocolate pretzel with a Rolo (or other similar chocolate candy)
- Press leg pieces into the side of the chocolate as shown chocolate.
- Drizzle extra chocolate over the top to help hold everything in place
- Chill in the refrigerator to set then dab on little bits of white chocolate for the eyes.
These chocolate pretzel spiders are the kind of Halloween finger food that anyone will love. They’re really easy to make and fun for kids both to help make and eat, of course. With only a few ingredients and very little effort, they’ll be a great addition to any Halloween party table.
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
Sign up for our newsletter to get FREE Sunday Supper recipes delivered right to your inbox!
Chocolate Pretzel Spiders
- 15 mini pretzels approx
- 1 oz dark chocolate
- 4 rolos or other small candy
- 1 tsp white chocolate approx
- Set aside 4 pretzels on a lined baking sheet or silicone mat, on top of a baking sheet with a bit of space between them.
- Break the 'loops' off the other pretzels so that you end up with 6 roughly even 'legs' for each of the four spiders.
- Melt the dark chocolate (either in a bowl over a bowl/small pot of boiling water or in the microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring in between, until melted).
- With a small spoon carefully fill the gaps in the 4 pretzels you set aside. Put a little extra chocolate on top and stick a rolo onto each one (I found it needed to be upside down/narrow end down to allow for legs).
- Press the ends of the pretzel 'legs' into the chocolate you have used to fill the gaps so they sit roughly evenly (see photos). Drizzle over a little extra chocolate to help the rolo and legs stay in place. Refrigerate until the chocolate hardens, a few minutes.
- Melt the white chocolate and use the end of a cocktail stick or a prong from a fork to dab two eyes on each spider. Chill again to harden.
- Multiply up quantities as you need for more spider treats.