Family dinners come in all shapes and sizes. Even if there are only two people at the family table that is no excuse not to make a homemade meal. Our Sunday Supper tastemakers have created this list of Easy Dinners for Two, so every family size can cook a homemade meal! We hope you enjoy this collection of Sunday Supper recipes.
I work as a pastry chef and my boyfriend works as a chef so people are constantly asking what dinner is like in our house. They imagine we cook elaborate meals but after a long day in the kitchen, cooking a fancy dinner is the farthest thing from our minds. We love nice simple comfort foods, the food we grew up on. However, the hardest part of cooking our own dinner is scaling that down for two people. I can’t tell you how many days I’ve cooked comically large portions of rice just for the two of us. It is a hard transition to go from cooking in a busy restaurant to making an easy dinner for two.
Tips for Cooking for Two
- Invest in a small rice cooker – this helps with learning how much rice to cook, and saves you from wasting when you cook too much.
- Portion your meat when you buy it – you usually can’t find ground beef in less than 1 pound packs, which is too much for two people. When you buy proteins, break them into smaller portions and freeze some.
- Buy dried beans – a can of beans is a lot for two people. The dried beans last forever in the pantry and this way you can only cook what you need.
- Learn some good leftover recipes – There will be leftovers from time to time, so get creative. Master a good fried rice or salad base that you can throw your extra protein and veggies in.
- Check your math – when downsizing a recipe always check your math. Nothing worse than forgetting to half one ingredient and ruining a dish. (Trust me!)
With Valentine’s Day around the corner, even if there are more than two people in your house, you will probably be looking for an easy dinner for two. Going out to eat for Valentine’s Day gets expensive and the restaurants can be crowded too, so our Sunday Supper tastemakers are creating some amazing and easy dinners for two that you can stay home and make instead! Be sure to tune in to our twitter chat Sunday, February 5th at 7pm as our Sunday Supper tastemakers share more tips on cooking for two!
Easy Dinners for Two Sunday Supper Recipes
- Chicken and Cheese Quesadillas by Pies and Plots
- Chicken Marsala by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Classic Coq Au Vin for Two by The Crumby Cupcake
- Creamy Parmesan Skillet Eggs by The Texan New Yorker
- Date Night Chicken Teriyaki Stir-Fry by Gourmet Every Day
- Orange Chicken by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Spicy Salsa Chicken by Simple and Savory
- Chicken and Spinach Pasta with Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce by Pook’s Pantry
- One Pan Shrimp and Asparagus Linguini by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Scallop Pasta with Garlic and White Wine by Caroline’s Cooking
- Skillet Rigatoni alla Vodka for Two by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
Red Meat Recipes
- Filet Mignon with Shiitake Mushrooms by Cooking Chat
- French Onion Filet Mignon by The Chef Next Door
- Honey Lime Steak Kebabs by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Mini Mushroom Meatloaf by Cricket’s Confections
- Mushroom Topped Pepper Steak for Two by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pan Seared Sirloin Steak Dinner for Two by Life Tastes Good
- Pan-Seared Nutella Skirt Steak by Brunch-n-Bites
- Petit Filet with Red Wine Pan Sauce & Garlic Mash by Authentically Candace
- Rack of Lamb with Strawberry Mint Glaze by Sunday Supper Movement
- Steak Au Poivre by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Baked Salmon with Ginger Marinade by Feeding Big
- Crab Caesar Salad by What Smells So Good?
- Crab Imperial by Monica’s Table
- Creamy Shrimp & Sausage Skillet by Crazed Mom
- Grilled Swordfish with Husk Cherry Salsa by From the Bookshelf
- Peppadew Trout en Croûte by Food Lust People Love
- Shrimp and Grits with Andouille Cream Sauce by Soulfully Made
- Surf and Turf for Two by The Freshman Cook
- Colorful Matchstick Salad with Mint Vinaigrette by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Curried Split Peas by Wholistic Woman
- Edamame Waldorf Salad by Ninja Baker
- Saffron and Leek Risotto – Served 2 Ways by Sprinkles and Sprouts
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.