This easy vegetable shepherd’s pie is simple to prepare and meat free, yet hearty and comforting. Use your own famous mashed potatoes and whole wheat pasta and you’ll have the whole family asking for seconds.
Momma Extraordinaire, Tammi Forcier knows how to get her picky eaters to eat! Well, most of the time. Even they have their moments of not liking casseroles. Can anybody relate?
Initially published on Tammi’s blog, Momma’s Meals, this easy vegetable shepherd’s pie is a family favorite and we are delighted to be sharing in full here for Weekday Supper’s 30-Minute Thursday. It’s quick to throw together – under 30 minutes using leftover mashed potatoes – and will fill hungry bellies with ease. And, yeah, we know that Shepherd’s Pie is typically made with lamb. You won’t miss it!
- 3 ounces whole wheat spaghetti uncooked
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms any kind
- 1 cup frozen carrots smaller the better
- 1-1/2 10.5 ounce each cans cream of mushroom soup (or try my healthier homemade cream of mushroom soup)
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 3/4 cup French fried onions
- Cook pasta to al dente and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13×9in baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Place all of the veggies in a bowl and mix with the cream of mushroom soup.
- Add veggie mixture to the baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
- Spread cooked pasta evenly over the veggie mixture.
- Add mashed potatoes on top of the pasta spreading evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until you see the liquid starting to bubble in the bottom of the dish.
- Add French fried onions to the top and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
Cook the pasta while you mix your vegetables together and you'll have this on the table in under 30 minutes.
How about more Weekday Supper recipes? It’s easy to find them. All you have to do is search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media and this website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
Pin Easy Vegetable Shepherd’s Pie!