Back when I had an oven heated by bottled gas, I struggled to get it hot enough to bake a loaded pizza crust crunchy on the bottom. Putting too many toppings – a particular problem I have – meant my crust was often soggy. But no one wants skimpy toppings! Then suddenly a solution occurred to me. Everything Pizza Tartin is baked upside down, French apple pie style, with ALL of my favorite ingredients, so the thick crust is still extra crunchy. Just flip to serve!
You do have to be careful to cook it just long enough so the crust is golden brown but the bottom doesn’t burn. When it’s starting to get just a little bit dark in places, it’s absolutely perfect. I figure about 25-30 minutes, depending on how many toppings you’ve added.
Here it is, straight out of the oven, before flipping. I use this particular pan because it can go from stovetop to oven. I brown the Italian sausage, then I take it off the heat to layer on the rest of the ingredients, finally tucking the dough in on top. But you can cook the sausage then bake your everything pizza tartin in a large pie plate or a well-seasoned cast iron skillet. You don’t want a pan that sticks. And don’t forget to cut some slits in your crust to let the steam escape. No soggy tops, or rather, bottoms!
- For the crust – to make a 10in or 26cm round thick crust
- 2 1/4 cups or 280g flour
- 1 rounded teaspoon active yeast – about 4g
- 3/4 cup or 180ml warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- For the topping
- 2 links Italian sausage, approximate weight 4 3/4 oz or 135g
- Olive oil
- Generous handful sliced pepperoni – say 10 or 12 slices
- 1 cup or 110g grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup or 120ml pizza sauce
- Other possible toppings:
- Small artichoke hearts, well drained and halved
- Sliced jalapeños, pickled or fresh
- Finely sliced onion
- Black olives
- Your favorite pizza topping – no need to limit your toppings!
- Fresh basil for serving
- Mix 1 cup or 125g flour with the yeast and add in the warm water. Leave to prove for about 5 minutes. You should see some bubbling.
- Add the salt then the rest of the flour, a little at a time, mixing continuously until you have a soft dough. You might not use quite all of the flour. Knead for about five minutes or until the ball of dough is smooth and elastic.
- Leave to proof in a warm place, covered with cling film or a damp towel, for about 45 minutes or until doubled in size. See note.*
- Preheat your oven to 400°F or 200°C when the dough has about 15 minutes raising time left.
- Meanwhile, prepare your toppings.
- In the bottom of your ovenproof skillet, brown the sausage in small balls, adding a drizzle of olive oil.
- Remove from the heat once browned and spoon off some of the excess fat the sausages might have created.
- Sprinkle in the finely sliced onion, the artichokes, jalapeños, olives and other toppings, distributing them evenly.
- Top these with the pepperoni slices.
- Sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon on the pizza sauce, spreading it around gently with the back of the spoon.
- Roll or press your crust out so that it’s just a bit larger than the diameter of your fillings in the pan. Cut three slits to allow steam to escape while it’s baking.
- Fit the crust over the fillings and tuck it in all around the sides.
- Use a pastry brush to brush olive oil over the top of the crust and down the tucked sides.
- Bake the pizza tartin in your preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the crust is a lovely golden color and quite crisp on the outside. When you tap it, it should sound hollow.
- Leave the pizza tartin to cool for about 5-7 minutes then invert it carefully onto a serving plate.
- If any of the bits stick, just scoop them off the pan and replace on the pizza tartin.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves and cut in wedges and serve hot.
In honor of National Pizza Month, the Sunday Supper tastemakers are bringing you their favorite pizza and pizza-inspired recipes. And because we are HUGE pizza fans, we’re sharing almost two months’ worth, if you make one every day! Many thanks to our event manager, Cricket of Cricket’s Confection and our host today, Coleen of The Redhead Baker for all of their hard work!
- Cauliflower Crust Pizza by Monica’s Table
- Cool Veggie and Ranch Pizza Appetizer by Positively Stacey
- Pepperoni Cheese Pizza Sliders by Family Around the Table
- Pizza Beef Wontons by Asian in America
- Pizza Potato Skins by Casa de Crews
- Cinnamon Roll Pizza by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Home Canned Pizza Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Bacon Jam, Pear and Butternut Squash Pizza by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bagel Pizzas by And She Cooks
- BBQ Bacon Mango Pizza by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Candy Corn Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Chicago Deep Dish Pizza by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Chicken Pesto Calzone by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chicken Pot Pie French Bread Pizza by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Vegetable Pizza (Low-Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Copycat UNO’s Pizza by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Deep Dish Fondue Pizza by Momma’s Meals
- Deluxe Imo’s Pizza Lasagna Rolls by Crazed Mom
- Easy French Bread Pizza by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Everything Pizza Tartin by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fall Veggie Pizza by The Culinary Compass
- Gluten Free Curried Pumpkin Chicken Pizza by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Pepperoni and Sausage Pizza Wraps by Food Lust People Love
- Hawaiian Pizza Salad by Cricket’s Confections
- Homemade Pan Pizza by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lahmacun (Turkish Pizza) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Lunchtime Pizza Muffins by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Meatball Sub Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Mexican Pizza by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mexican-Style Corn Tortilla Pizzas by Home Sweet Homestead
- Mom’s Family Style Cavatini by Powered by BLING
- Onion Tart by Wholistic Woman
- Philly Cheesesteak Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Pizza Pot Pies by Brunch-n-Bites
- Pizza Steak Hoagie by The Freshman Cook
- Pizza Toscana by Cooking with Carlee
- Roasted Garlic and Spinach Pizza with Balsamic Onions by Helpful Homemade
- Rustic Bacon & Citrus Pizza by Gourmet Everyday
- Sausage and Peppers Pizza by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sausage Arugula Pizza by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Grilled Pizza by Our Good Life
- Spinach and Feta Stuffed Pizza Bread by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Supreme Breakfast Pizza by The Crumby Cupcake
- Taco Dip Pizza by Hardly a Goddess
- Tandoori Chicken Pizza with Fresh Basil and Mozzarella by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- The Mac Pizza by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Vegan Margherita Pizza by Simple and Savory
- Caramel Apple Dessert Pizza by The Foodie Affair
- Cheesecake Pizza by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Macaroon Pizza by Pies and Plots
- Fresh Fruit Pizza by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.