Feta and strawberry tabouleh is a great twist on a Middle Eastern favorite. Florida strawberries brighten the salad, adding color and a welcome sweetness. This is one salad that’s just as good as leftovers!
We all know that strawberries are sweet, juicy and delicious but did you you that they also have lots of health benefits? Indeed, strawberries are low in calories (about 45 per one cup serving), virtually fat free, contain no cholesterol, and are an excellent source of folic acid that helps the body metabolize protein. The fact that surprised me the most was that only eight medium strawberries contain more vitamin C than one whole orange! And they are also a good source of potassium. When was the last time something you loved was so good for you?
This weekend our Sunday Supper tastemakers are headed to the Florida Strawberry fields in Plant City to pick strawberries and learn all about them from the farmers who are members of the Florida Strawberry Growers Association. We are very excited to announce that YOU can win a Florida Getaway with your family too! Show us your best Florida Strawberry photo for a free Florida Strawberry cap and a chance to win a trip to sunny Florida! Find out how here: Florida Strawberry Cap Contest. Also, you can check out all the other photo entries at that link! Click here to read the Official Rules.
The Florida strawberry season is from November through April so, if you live on the east coast of the United States, make sure to look for them now in your local grocery store. Don’t see them? Ask your produce manager to order some! Florida strawberries are picked and shipped out the very same day, to make sure that they reach your supermarket in the perfect condition.
- ½ medium purple onion, sliced very thinly (about 2½ oz or 70g)
- 2 tablespoons or 30ml fresh lime or lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper - few good grinds from your pepper mill
- ¼ cup or 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup or 210g bulgur wheat (3¼ cups or 613g when soaked and drained)
- 1 bunch green onions, just the green part, chopped (about 11/4 oz or 35g)
- 1 very large bunch (about 5⅓ oz or 150g) cilantro
- 8 oz or 227g yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- 14 oz or 400g strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 7 oz or 200g feta, crumbled (I prefer the sheep’s milk type.)
- In metal or heatproof bowl, cover your bulgur wheat with 1¾ cups or 414ml of boiling water and cover the bowl with an upside down plate. Set aside.
- Next we are going to make the dressing right in the large bowl where we’ll make the salad. Put your thinly sliced onions in a large bowl and pour the lime juice over them. Sprinkle with the salt. Add a few good grinds of fresh black pepper. Let the onions marinate in the lime juice for a few minutes. This helps reduced their pungency and sharpness. Now mix in the olive oil.
- Chop your green onions finely and set aside.
- Cut most of the stalks off of the cilantro. (The little narrow stalks near the leaves are fine to leave in.) Wash thoroughly several times and dry in a salad spinner or a dry dishcloth. Chop the leaves and tender stems roughly.
- Once the bulgur wheat has absorbed all of the water it can, drain it in a strainer and push down on the top to get rid of any excess water. Fluff it with fork and leave it to cool.
- Now we can assemble the strawberry tabouleh. Add the halved tomatoes to the dressing first, then tip in the cooled bulgur wheat. Stir to coat the wheat with the dressing.
- Now add the chopped green onions and cilantro and mix well.
- Finally, add the strawberries and feta and toss gently to combine.
Follow Florida Strawberry on social media for free recipes and contests
and check out our Fresh Florida Strawberry Recipes Pinterest board
where you’ll find lots of great recipe ideas.
Check out all the other healthy strawberry recipes!
- Balsamic & Brown Sugar Strawberry Canapés by My Sweet Zepol
- Fresh Mozzarella Strawberry Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Strawberry Foccaccio by Healing Tomato
- Strawberry Avocado Crostini by Beauty and the Beets
- Strawberry Mango Salsa with Whole Wheat Cinnamon Chips by Meghan On The Move
- Feta and Strawberry Tabouleh Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Strawberry Caprese Salad with Balsamic and Mint by Authentically Candace
- Strawberry Panzanella Salad by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Pan-Seared Sea Bass with Butternut Squash and Strawberry Sauce by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pork Chops with Balsamic-Strawberry Sauce by Life Tastes Good
- Strawberry Balsamic Grilled Chicken by Katie’s Cucina
- Strawberry Pesto Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Salad with Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette by Family Around The Table
- Lightened-Up Strawberry Mille-Feuille by Girl Abroad
- Roasted Strawberry Pavlova with Lemon Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberries Romanoff by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Strawberry Buttermilk Cake by Cricket’s Confections
- Strawberry Pound Cake Kabobs With Chocolate Drizzle by My Sweet Savings
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 p.m. ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.