This refreshing and versatile drink can be made with white or red wine. A variety of ingredients lend the wine a new personality. And club soda (or flavored sodas) adds the sparkle.
Today, Sunday Supper is partnering with Gallo Family Vineyards to pair its Sweet White Blend and Café Zinfandel with recipes perfect for Labor Day entertaining. The tastemakers offer 20 recipes, both savory and sweet, that they’ve developed especially to complement these fruity wines.
We suggest these two wines to make five party-friendly wine spritzers A simple wine spritzer is equal parts wine and club soda. Start there and begin to experiment. We did, and here’s what happened:
Blueberry Spritzer. Pour 5 ounces of Sweet Wine Blend into a cocktail shaker with, a teaspoon of sugar and ¼ cup fresh, crushed blueberries, and some crushed ice. Shake and strain into a martini glass then top with a couple ounces of club soda. Garnish with whole berries.
Cranberry Spritzer. This is a party-worthy spritzer made in a pitcher. A bottle of chilled Sweet Wine Blend is mixed with two cups cold cranberry juice and one cup chilled club soda. Stir gently; add ice and slices of oranges.
Mango Spritzer. This is another large pitcher spritzer. Puree three peeled and pitted mangoes with 2 tablespoons honey. Push the mixture through a sieve and into a pitcher. Chill. Add a bottle of Sweet Wine Blend and a liter of cold sparkling water. Garnish with mint leaves and chunks of frozen mango.
Strawberry Spritzer. Café Zinfandel’s berry punch is enhanced with strawberry soda. For one drink, mix equal parts of the red wine with strawberry soda. Before serving over ice hit with a splash of balsamic vinegar (really) and a big juicy round of lemon.
Pomegranate Spritzer. Make drinks for two by mixing 6 ounces of Café Zinfandel 3 ounces pomegranate juice. Pour into tall glasses of ice, leaving space for a top-off of club soda. Garnish with sliced strawberries.
For tips on hosting the best Labor Day party ever, check out Gallo Family Vineyards’ blog.
Join us tonight at 7 p.m. ET on Twitter for live chat about Labor Day entertaining and wine pairings. In the meantime, check out today’s recipe and start your shopping list.
For your Labor Day feast:
- Arugula Fig and Goat Cheese Salad by Family Foodie
- Caprese Fruit Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Salad by The Crumby Cupcake
- Five Fruity Wine Spritzers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Grilled Flank Steak Pinwheels by Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Shrimp Burgers with Quick Remoulade Sauce by The Weekend Gourmet
- Hatch Chile Avocado Cream Dip by Magnolia Days
- Harissa Spiced Chicken Kabobs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Mango Habanero Shrimp Flatbread by Flavor Mosaic
- Peach Barbecue Chicken Wings by Life Tastes Good
- Salmon Bagel Sliders with Strawberry Jalapeno Cream Cheese and Basil Aioli by Food Done Light
- Sunny Side Up Frittata with Ham by Recipe For Perfection
- Tuscan Panzanella Salad by Shockingly Delicious
To sweeten the holiday:
- Blackberry Buckle by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chocolate Strawberry Cream Puff Bites by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Hasty Chocolate Pudding by Nosh My Way
- Raspberry Lamingtons by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Raspberry Upside Down Cake by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Summer Fruit Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Tropical Angel Food Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Vanilla Bean Roasted Peaches by Alida’s Kitchen
More on Gallo Family Vineyards: Follow them on social media to keep up the latest on their happenings and wines. Here are quick links to GFV’s profiles: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. The Gallo Family Vineyards website has lots of information on their wines plus wine & food pairings and a handy store locator.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards